Re: [S-R] yoy,oi, yiddish, east slovak...?

  • joannp1@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 14, 2005
      My maternal Baba did the same and she was from Packanova in the county of Bereg in, what is now, the Ukraine. My mom did the same and so do I. I've even been using the "OY Vey" (sp), I guess that's my Jewish gene showing up.

      Joann

      ---- "J." <cousinjanie1004@...> wrote:
      > My maternal Baba was from Ubrez - Eastern Slovakia, about 10 miles from Ukraine border.
      >
      > She always used the expression in this form:
      > oy - yoy - yoy
      >
      > Depending on the situation, the emphasis would vary.
      >
      > Sometimes it would sound like:
      > OY - yoy - yoy
      > Accent on the first 'oy' and muttered under her breath; not said directly to anyone, but
      > meant to be heard by who ever was nearby.
      >
      > Sometimes it would sound like:
      > oy - yoy - YOY
      > Accent on the last 'oy' and spoken directly to another person as Baba's reaction of
      > sympathy, annoyance, disbelief, etc. to what ever that person had just told her.
      >
      > Sometimes Baba would just abbreviate it to a simple 'oy' to cover almost any situation that
      > needed only a slight reaction/reply.
      >
      > My Mom and all the Aunt's use/used this expression the same way. I also have also picked
      > up on use of this phrase all my life, but usuaully only among family & close friends. We all
      > also use the abbreviated version, probably more often.
      >
      > Has anyone else had this experience?

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Joyce & Bill
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2005

        .

        >She always used the expression in this form:
        >oy - yoy - yoy
        >
        >the abbreviated version, probably more often.
        >
        >Has anyone else had this experience?

        Yes, my aunt from central Slovakia. I had not thought about it until this thread started and suddenly I could see her sitting there saying that with a smile on her face, a look of surprise and often her hand over her mouth.

        Joyce

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marianne Petruska
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 19, 2005
          I'm starting to think the "oy-yoy-yoy" MUST be an Eastern Slovak
          expression. My Mom's parents were from megye Ung & that was an
          expression I often heard Mom use that expression, espec. if one of my
          siblings or I did something klutzy or stupid! (Mom usually followed
          it up by either throwing up her hands in disgust, or smacking her
          palm against her forehead -- then bopping her offending child!)

          MARIANNE

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, joannp1@a... wrote:

          > My maternal Baba did the same and she was from Packanova in the
          county of Bereg in, what is now, the Ukraine. My mom did the same
          and so do I. I've even been using the "OY Vey" (sp), I guess that's
          my Jewish gene showing up.

          > Joann
          >

          > ---- "J." <cousinjanie1004@y...> wrote:
          > > My maternal Baba was from Ubrez - Eastern Slovakia, about 10
          miles from Ukraine border.

          > > She always used the expression in this form:
          > > oy - yoy - yoy
          > >
          > > Depending on the situation, the emphasis would vary.
          > >
          > > Sometimes it would sound like:
          > > OY - yoy - yoy
          > > Accent on the first 'oy' and muttered under her breath; not said
          directly to anyone, but
          > > meant to be heard by who ever was nearby.
          > >
          > > Sometimes it would sound like:
          > > oy - yoy - YOY
          > > Accent on the last 'oy' and spoken directly to another person as
          Baba's reaction of
          > > sympathy, annoyance, disbelief, etc. to what ever that person
          had just told her.

          > > Sometimes Baba would just abbreviate it to a simple 'oy' to cover
          almost any situation that
          > > needed only a slight reaction/reply.
          > >
          > > My Mom and all the Aunt's use/used this expression the same way.
          I also have also picked
          > > up on use of this phrase all my life, but usuaully only among
          family & close friends. We all
          > > also use the abbreviated version, probably more often.
          > >
          > > Has anyone else had this experience?

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dennis and Donna
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2007
            You know it is a small world when you come across something like this!

            How many times as a boy I would get a response like this from my Mother?

            OY! YO-O-Y Y-O-OY! It must be a regional thing because my roots are in
            Patakos

            in Bereg as well. Just tell me Joann,where have you been lately?

            Searching for Surnames:Haluska/Bumbak/Petrus/Pilat/Csorej

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, joannp1@... wrote:

            > My maternal Baba did the same and she was from Packanova in the county
            of Bereg in, what is now, the Ukraine. My mom did the same and so do I.
            I've even been using the "OY Vey" (sp), I guess that's my Jewish gene
            showing up.

            > Joann
            >

            > ---- "J." cousinjanie1004@... wrote:
            > > My maternal Baba was from Ubrez - Eastern Slovakia, about 10 miles
            from Ukraine border.

            > > She always used the expression in this form:
            > > oy - yoy - yoy
            > >
            > > Depending on the situation, the emphasis would vary.
            > >
            > > Sometimes it would sound like:
            > > OY - yoy - yoy
            > > Accent on the first 'oy' and muttered under her breath; not said
            directly to anyone, but
            > > meant to be heard by who ever was nearby.
            > >
            > > Sometimes it would sound like:
            > > oy - yoy - YOY
            > > Accent on the last 'oy' and spoken directly to another person as
            Baba's reaction of
            > > sympathy, annoyance, disbelief, etc. to what ever that person had
            just told her.

            > > Sometimes Baba would just abbreviate it to a simple 'oy' to cover
            almost any situation that
            > > needed only a slight reaction/reply.
            > >
            > > My Mom and all the Aunt's use/used this expression the same way. I
            also have also picked
            > > up on use of this phrase all my life, but usuaully only among family
            & close friends. We all
            > > also use the abbreviated version, probably more often.
            > >
            > > Has anyone else had this experience?

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Robert Shive
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2007
              Heard it many times, from my mother grandmother, and great aunt. The family is originally from eastern Slovkia near Kosice.

              Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
              You know it is a small world when you come across something like this!

              How many times as a boy I would get a response like this from my Mother?

              OY! YO-O-Y Y-O-OY! It must be a regional thing because my roots are in
              Patakos

              in Bereg as well. Just tell me Joann,where have you been lately?

              Searching for Surnames:Haluska/Bumbak/Petrus/Pilat/Csorej

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, joannp1@... wrote:

              > My maternal Baba did the same and she was from Packanova in the county
              of Bereg in, what is now, the Ukraine. My mom did the same and so do I.
              I've even been using the "OY Vey" (sp), I guess that's my Jewish gene
              showing up.

              > Joann
              >

              > ---- "J." cousinjanie1004@... wrote:
              > > My maternal Baba was from Ubrez - Eastern Slovakia, about 10 miles
              from Ukraine border.

              > > She always used the expression in this form:
              > > oy - yoy - yoy
              > >
              > > Depending on the situation, the emphasis would vary.
              > >
              > > Sometimes it would sound like:
              > > OY - yoy - yoy
              > > Accent on the first 'oy' and muttered under her breath; not said
              directly to anyone, but
              > > meant to be heard by who ever was nearby.
              > >
              > > Sometimes it would sound like:
              > > oy - yoy - YOY
              > > Accent on the last 'oy' and spoken directly to another person as
              Baba's reaction of
              > > sympathy, annoyance, disbelief, etc. to what ever that person had
              just told her.

              > > Sometimes Baba would just abbreviate it to a simple 'oy' to cover
              almost any situation that
              > > needed only a slight reaction/reply.
              > >
              > > My Mom and all the Aunt's use/used this expression the same way. I
              also have also picked
              > > up on use of this phrase all my life, but usuaully only among family
              & close friends. We all
              > > also use the abbreviated version, probably more often.
              > >
              > > Has anyone else had this experience?

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • karen pivowar
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2007
                I heard this all the time as a child while my grandmother was alive. My parents said
                it and I said it as a child. My aunt used it all her life. I havn't heard it since for the last
                20 years. It brings back good memories. Glad you brought it up. My roots go back
                to Nizna Slana. The Gemeri (Gamary) family. Is anyone from that area or heard of
                the name? Thank you so much. I enjoy reading the e-mails.
                Karen Hurajt Pivowar

              • Marilyn Hertenstein
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2007
                  My grandmother would always say that too, but she was from a village on the
                  Poland Ukraine border.
                  Thanks for the memory.

                  Marilyn

                  _____

                  You know it is a small world when you come across something like this!

                  How many times as a boy I would get a response like this from my Mother?

                  OY! YO-O-Y Y-O-OY! It must be a regional thing because my roots are in
                  Patakos

                  in Bereg as well. Just tell me Joann,where have you been lately?

                  Searching for Surnames:Haluska/Bumbak/Petrus/Pilat/Csorej

                  yahoogroups.com, joannp1@... wrote:

                  > My maternal Baba did the same and she was from Packanova in the county
                  of Bereg in, what is now, the Ukraine. My mom did the same and so do I.
                  I've even been using the "OY Vey" (sp), I guess that's my Jewish gene
                  showing up.

                  > Joann
                  >

                  > ---- "J." cousinjanie1004@... wrote:
                  > > My maternal Baba was from Ubrez - Eastern Slovakia, about 10 miles
                  from Ukraine border.

                  > > She always used the expression in this form:
                  > > oy - yoy - yoy
                  > >
                  > > Depending on the situation, the emphasis would vary.
                  > >
                  > > Sometimes it would sound like:
                  > > OY - yoy - yoy
                  > > Accent on the first 'oy' and muttered under her breath; not said
                  directly to anyone, but
                  > > meant to be heard by who ever was nearby.
                  > >
                  > > Sometimes it would sound like:
                  > > oy - yoy - YOY
                  > > Accent on the last 'oy' and spoken directly to another person as
                  Baba's reaction of
                  > > sympathy, annoyance, disbelief, etc. to what ever that person had
                  just told her.

                  > > Sometimes Baba would just abbreviate it to a simple 'oy' to cover
                  almost any situation that
                  > > needed only a slight reaction/reply.
                  > >
                  > > My Mom and all the Aunt's use/used this expression the same way. I
                  also have also picked
                  > > up on use of this phrase all my life, but usuaully only among family
                  & close friends. We all
                  > > also use the abbreviated version, probably more often.
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone else had this experience?
                  > >

                  > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                  http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                  ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
                  SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                  unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • J.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
                    Dear Robert, Dennis & Donna, and other group commentators:

                    Did not expect to see my old Message #13921 from Dec. 14, 2005 turn up in a
                    conversation again!! But, I always enjoy a chance to remember my maternal Baba, Anna
                    (Lazar) Sepelyak. Thanks everyone for sharing your 'Oy-Yoy-Yoy' memories with
                    me!

                    ROBERT: Kosice is not too many miles from my Baba's village, Ubrez.

                    DENNIS & DONNA: I believe there are members in my Church with the surnames Bumbak
                    and Haluska. The Church is St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church in Perth Amboy, NJ. It is
                    part of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese.

                    Best Regards,
                    Cousin Janie

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Robert Shive <robert_shive@...> wrote:

                    Heard it many times, from my mother grandmother, and great aunt. The family is
                    originally from eastern Slovkia near Kosice.

                    Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote: >

                    How many times as a boy I would get a response like this from my Mother?
                    Searching for Surnames:Haluska/Bumbak/Petrus/Pilat/Csorej

                    MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE #13921