[S-R] "Jaj/Joj/Yoy!" (etc. - Eastern Slovakia expressions)

  • James McGrath
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2005
      From my experience, 'Oy vey' and 'Oy gavult' are
      Yiddish expressions, whereas 'Joj' I've heard
      throughout Hungary and Transylvania, including among
      Romanian speakers, and it thus seems more likely to me
      that the expression is Hungarian. It could quite
      possibly have entered Yiddish by that route, just as
      'Hora' has become familiar to many Americans as a
      stereotypically Jewish dance, whereas the word derives
      from Romanian, and from there entered modern Hebrew.

      Hope this helps,

      James McGrath

      --- sunkat <sunkat@...> wrote:

      > Since my first trip to Slovakia in 1998 (I go every
      > year & am in Slovakia
      > now), I've only heard "Ach/Och!" or "Jaj!" (yaiee).
      > That's not to say "Joj"
      > (yoy) doesn't exist or that Slovaks don't use
      > it...only that I've never
      > heard it in all the time I've gone to Slovakia.
      >
      > However, I just asked my Slovak husband, & he said
      > that, yes, Slovaks DO
      > indeed (also) say "yoy" & that the two (sounds) are
      > pretty much
      > interchangeable...for Slovaks, anyway. :-)
      >
      > As for any connection with a possible Yiddish
      > counterpart, I'll leave that
      > to the rest of the list... ;-)
      >
      > Kat ("Katka")

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • MA Bensh
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2005
        Guess that is how my family got "oy-yoy-yoy".

        "Dr. Joe Q." <DoctorQ@...> wrote: Depending on how far east you go, you will hear:

        oyoi
        ayaiy
        yoyi
        ayoyi
        yoyiyoyi
        etc.

        Dr. "Q"

        sunkat wrote:

        >Since my first trip to Slovakia in 1998 (I go every year & am in Slovakia
        >now), I've only heard "Ach/Och!" or "Jaj!" (yaiee). That's not to say "Joj"
        >(yoy) doesn't exist or that Slovaks don't use it...only that I've never
        >heard it in all the time I've gone to Slovakia.
        >
        >However, I just asked my Slovak husband, & he said that, yes, Slovaks DO
        >indeed (also) say "yoy" & that the two (sounds) are pretty much
        >interchangeable...for Slovaks, anyway. :-)
        >
        >As for any connection with a possible Yiddish counterpart, I'll leave that
        >to the rest of the list... ;-)
        >
        >Kat ("Katka")
        >_________________
        >>From : dlielc <MJHodor@...>
        >To : SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject : [S-R] yoy,oi, yiddish, east slovak
        >Date : Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:35:05 +0000
        >
        >I'm just listening to PBS program on Yiddish.The show talked
        >aboutkvetching and oi. East Slovaks, or at least, my family used yoi
        >all the time. Yoy, yoy, yoy. A Czech friend told me she had given
        >birth in a Presov hospital. There, all the Slovak women in labor yoyed
        >away. Is there a connection betwee the Yiddish and the Slovak custom i
        >this matter?
        >
        >Sincerely, MJHodor

        Melissa