"Jaj/Joj/Yoy!" (etc. - Eastern Slovakia expressions)

  • sunkat
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2005
      Since my first trip to Slovakia in 1998 (I go every year & am in Slovakia
      now), I've only heard "Ach/Och!" or "Jaj!" (yaiee). That's not to say "Joj"
      (yoy) doesn't exist or that Slovaks don't use it...only that I've never
      heard it in all the time I've gone to Slovakia.

      However, I just asked my Slovak husband, & he said that, yes, Slovaks DO
      indeed (also) say "yoy" & that the two (sounds) are pretty much
      interchangeable...for Slovaks, anyway. :-)

      As for any connection with a possible Yiddish counterpart, I'll leave that
      to the rest of the list... ;-)

      Kat ("Katka")
      _________________
      From : dlielc <MJHodor@...>
      To : SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject : [S-R] yoy,oi, yiddish, east slovak
      Date : Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:35:05 +0000

      I'm just listening to PBS program on Yiddish.The show talked
      aboutkvetching and oi. East Slovaks, or at least, my family used yoi
      all the time. Yoy, yoy, yoy. A Czech friend told me she had given
      birth in a Presov hospital. There, all the Slovak women in labor yoyed
      away. Is there a connection betwee the Yiddish and the Slovak custom i
      this matter?

      Sincerely, MJHodor
    • Dr. Joe Q.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2005
        Depending on how far east you go, you will hear:

        oyoi
        ayaiy
        yoyi
        ayoyi
        yoyiyoyi
        etc.

        Dr. "Q"

        sunkat wrote:

        >Since my first trip to Slovakia in 1998 (I go every year & am in Slovakia
        >now), I've only heard "Ach/Och!" or "Jaj!" (yaiee). That's not to say "Joj"
        >(yoy) doesn't exist or that Slovaks don't use it...only that I've never
        >heard it in all the time I've gone to Slovakia.
        >
        >However, I just asked my Slovak husband, & he said that, yes, Slovaks DO
        >indeed (also) say "yoy" & that the two (sounds) are pretty much
        >interchangeable...for Slovaks, anyway. :-)
        >
        >As for any connection with a possible Yiddish counterpart, I'll leave that
        >to the rest of the list... ;-)
        >
        >Kat ("Katka")
        >_________________
        >>From : dlielc <MJHodor@...>
        >To : SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject : [S-R] yoy,oi, yiddish, east slovak
        >Date : Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:35:05 +0000
        >
        >I'm just listening to PBS program on Yiddish.The show talked
        >aboutkvetching and oi. East Slovaks, or at least, my family used yoi
        >all the time. Yoy, yoy, yoy. A Czech friend told me she had given
        >birth in a Presov hospital. There, all the Slovak women in labor yoyed
        >away. Is there a connection betwee the Yiddish and the Slovak custom i
        >this matter?
        >
        >Sincerely, MJHodor

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 12, 2005
          --- "Dr. Joe Q." <DoctorQ@...> wrote:

          > Depending on how far east you go, you will hear:
          >
          > oyoi
          > ayaiy
          > yoyi
          > ayoyi
          > yoyiyoyi
          > etc.
          >
          > Dr. "Q"

          I love the village yojjjjjjjjj - it's often long and
          dragged out - it's perfect! So expressive- fills the
          bill for just about anything -

          helene

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • James McGrath
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2005
            From my experience, 'Oy vey' and 'Oy gavult' are
            Yiddish expressions, whereas 'Joj' I've heard
            throughout Hungary and Transylvania, including among
            Romanian speakers, and it thus seems more likely to me
            that the expression is Hungarian. It could quite
            possibly have entered Yiddish by that route, just as
            'Hora' has become familiar to many Americans as a
            stereotypically Jewish dance, whereas the word derives
            from Romanian, and from there entered modern Hebrew.

            Hope this helps,

            James McGrath

            --- sunkat <sunkat@...> wrote:

            > Since my first trip to Slovakia in 1998 (I go every
            > year & am in Slovakia
            > now), I've only heard "Ach/Och!" or "Jaj!" (yaiee).
            > That's not to say "Joj"
            > (yoy) doesn't exist or that Slovaks don't use
            > it...only that I've never
            > heard it in all the time I've gone to Slovakia.
            >
            > However, I just asked my Slovak husband, & he said
            > that, yes, Slovaks DO
            > indeed (also) say "yoy" & that the two (sounds) are
            > pretty much
            > interchangeable...for Slovaks, anyway. :-)
            >
            > As for any connection with a possible Yiddish
            > counterpart, I'll leave that
            > to the rest of the list... ;-)
            >
            > Kat ("Katka")

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • MA Bensh
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2005
              Guess that is how my family got "oy-yoy-yoy".

              "Dr. Joe Q." <DoctorQ@...> wrote: Depending on how far east you go, you will hear:

              oyoi
              ayaiy
              yoyi
              ayoyi
              yoyiyoyi
              etc.

              Dr. "Q"

              sunkat wrote:

              >Since my first trip to Slovakia in 1998 (I go every year & am in Slovakia
              >now), I've only heard "Ach/Och!" or "Jaj!" (yaiee). That's not to say "Joj"
              >(yoy) doesn't exist or that Slovaks don't use it...only that I've never
              >heard it in all the time I've gone to Slovakia.
              >
              >However, I just asked my Slovak husband, & he said that, yes, Slovaks DO
              >indeed (also) say "yoy" & that the two (sounds) are pretty much
              >interchangeable...for Slovaks, anyway. :-)
              >
              >As for any connection with a possible Yiddish counterpart, I'll leave that
              >to the rest of the list... ;-)
              >
              >Kat ("Katka")
              >_________________
              >>From : dlielc <MJHodor@...>
              >To : SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject : [S-R] yoy,oi, yiddish, east slovak
              >Date : Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:35:05 +0000
              >
              >I'm just listening to PBS program on Yiddish.The show talked
              >aboutkvetching and oi. East Slovaks, or at least, my family used yoi
              >all the time. Yoy, yoy, yoy. A Czech friend told me she had given
              >birth in a Presov hospital. There, all the Slovak women in labor yoyed
              >away. Is there a connection betwee the Yiddish and the Slovak custom i
              >this matter?
              >
              >Sincerely, MJHodor

              Melissa