Idea for a Research Map

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2005
      Idea for a Research Map

      I have been fiddling around with a map on one of my web pages.

      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/villages_of_slovakia.htm

      1. If you "hover" (put your mouse, without clicking) over a village name,
      you will see the Magyar/Hungarian spelling variants.

      2. If you click on the village name, it will take you to an appropriate
      village page (if it exists.)

      Before I go crazy, I'd appreciate some feedback on how useful you would
      find a feature like this.

      Thanks!

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 12, 2005
        Hi Bill,

        Looks like an excellent resource for researchers in that area.

        Richard

        Felso Valy
        Rimaszombat
        Gomor-kis-hont

        Idea for a Research Map

        I have been fiddling around with a map on one of my web pages.

        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/villages_of_slovakia.htm

        1. If you "hover" (put your mouse, without clicking) over a village name,
        you will see the Magyar/Hungarian spelling variants.

        2. If you click on the village name, it will take you to an appropriate
        village page (if it exists.)

        Before I go crazy, I'd appreciate some feedback on how useful you would
        find a feature like this.

        Thanks!

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com

        Richard W. Thomas MSU 65

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2005
          This could be done for any area, if the individual has the time and is
          willing to put the effort in. My interest is in the east, where a good
          chunk of the immigrants come from. I'll do the east.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 18, 2005
            Hi. I need your opinions again.
            I have posted a rather large map (1.5MB) at
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/map.htm
            to use as a basis for my "clickable" feature.
            It does NOT have any clicks on it yet. I'm testing it for size.
            I am trying to get as large a map as I can that is still read-able (we are
            all getting older!) and balance that against download time.

            It is very large, but I am trying to cover a large area. Please let me know
            how this looks versus the file size. I can experiment and try smaller sizes
            too.

            You may NOT want to click on the above link if you are on dialup.

            Thanks,

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2005
              My old eyes think your map is great.

              Barbara - Uprooting family trees

              "Pray for AMERICA"
            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2005
                WOW!! That thing fills about 8 screens.

                I think you should make it a small full screen map and
                when you click on it, it expands to size it is now.
                The thing is so big, I don't have any perspective as
                to where it is located in Slovakia - - - well that
                isn't true, I did notice that you didn't go all the
                way west to Livov (about 12 km west of Bardejov; the
                head waters of the Topla are in Livovska huta. Another
                2 km west of Livov.

                Dr. "Q"

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Helen France
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 18, 2005
                  Bill,

                  Looks great to me!

                  Helen France

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 18, 2005
                    Bill,
                    I appreciated the size of the map. I do agree with Q that some perspective would be nice. Since I traveled over so much of your map on my last trip I didn't get "lost" while navigating it. A less experienced person might have a difficult time trying to move from one village to another farther away.
                    Michael Mojher

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 18, 2005
                      Dear Bill,
                      The Idea is great but can be a life time work. I guess you know how thick the Majtan book is and how many former names are associated with some of the places.
                      I am thinking now about the research process;
                      - you know one of the names of a place and do not know how is it called today and where it is. Such a map would not help, because you would still have to check very many. Majtan on line would be the fastest way to find the current name, then combined with the shtetl seeker to find the location.
                      Immediately then, after you have found the current name and location, a question qould arise ; "Which parish or which Rabinate was that?"
                      This woud require " Cirkevne Matriky....." to be computerized and linked to it as well.
                      In other words;
                      - Majtan
                      - Shtetl seeker
                      - a map
                      - Cirkevne Matriky....
                      are standard tools when you start with a place name in old spelling and want to know where it is and which Church trecords to study.
                      To computerize all this and link them together is a work of great dimensions. There are also some legal issues regarding Majtan and Cirkevne Matriky....
                      if I have a valid placename ( not completely corrupted) it takes me a minute to find out what records are available and where.
                      With best regards,
                      Vladimir

                      I have been fiddling around with a map on one of my web pages.

                      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/villages_of_slovakia.htm

                      1. If you "hover" (put your mouse, without clicking) over a village name,
                      you will see the Magyar/Hungarian spelling variants.

                      2. If you click on the village name, it will take you to an appropriate
                      village page (if it exists.)

                      Before I go crazy, I'd appreciate some feedback on how useful you would
                      find a feature like this.

                      Thanks!

                      --
                      Bill Tarkulich
                      http://www.iabsi.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://www.eset.sk

                    • Frank R. Plichta
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2005
                        Bill,

                        I like the map the way that it is. No single item will meet all of the
                        needs of someone. The "reference" map that folks are asking for should be
                        something that they already have. Your efforts to undertake this effort is
                        to be commended. Great Work. Keep it up.

                        Frank Plichta
                        Galax, Virginia

                        I have been fiddling around with a map on one of my web pages.

                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/villages_of_slovakia.htm

                        1. If you "hover" (put your mouse, without clicking) over a village name,
                        you will see the Magyar/Hungarian spelling variants.

                        2. If you click on the village name, it will take you to an appropriate
                        village page (if it exists.)

                        Before I go crazy, I'd appreciate some feedback on how useful you would
                        find a feature like this.

                        Thanks!

                        --
                        Bill Tarkulich
                        http://www.iabsi.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Service.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • nhasior@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 20, 2005
                          Bill,
                          great map. i do not know what goes into putting such a map on the web but
                          this is a clear and easy to follow map and it is useful to me for it shows
                          where my great grandparents came from. i can see now that they lived just up the
                          road from each other. other maps were not so detailed in naming the roads and
                          the actual road images. my great grandparents came from outside of Presov.
                          one ggrandparent was from Raslavice and the other ggrandparent came from
                          Podhradik. Your map came far enough West to catch both villages. when i was in
                          Raslavice this summer, i did not realize how easy it would have been to see
                          Podhradik on the way back to Poprad.
                          thank you
                          Noreen

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 20, 2005
                            I am being purposefully silent as the comments about the Map come in. It's
                            a brainstorming session of sorts. I'm interested in defining where the real
                            need is here.
                            What is beginning to emerge, both here and on Delphi Forums is that there
                            are 2-3 different uses for these maps. Depending on the use, the design can
                            go one way or another. At this juncture, it appears that there may need to
                            be at least two different variations on this in order to assist the most
                            people.

                            From a time and work point of view, I have to balance what I can do versus
                            what would be nice to do. Clearly robust and elegant suggestions have been
                            brought forth, but at what cost? I am of course, doing this for free.

                            From a technology point of view, I am investigating the use of linking into
                            commercial services such as Mapquest, Google Maps or MSN Maps/Mapppoint. If
                            you think about it, why should I reinvent the wheel when many of these
                            services provide the basis for what I need? All I need to do is add popups
                            and links. For the most part, while these services have developer linkages
                            that would make my life easier, none of these services render Central Europe
                            very well, or at all. I will also explore Supernavigator.sk and
                            mapy.atlas.sk, but I do not readily see any linkages for developers.

                            I also don't want to get highly technical. My time is limited and it's just
                            not there to develop and maintain something complex. I prefer to stick with
                            off-the shelf solutions.

                            Lastly, I need to manage a budget: Free. I'm doing this not for myself, but
                            for those who have not yet arrived and need help learning and searching.
                            While I saw a GIS web publishing program that suits the bill, I'm not
                            shelling out US$1000. As it is, I already pickup the cost of the website
                            hosting expense.

                            I am being deliberately vague as I want your ideas to continue to bubble up.
                            I have enough experience with software design to know when the soup's
                            cooked, and right now it isn't.

                            Thank you all for your ideas, please keep them coming. Ultimately I will
                            find the right solution.

                            ______________
                            Bill Tarkulich
                          • R D Gale

                              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/villages_of_slovakia.htm<http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/villages_of_slovakia.htm>

                              1. If you "hover" (put your mouse, without clicking) over a village name,
                              you will see the Magyar/Hungarian spelling variants.

                              2. If you click on the village name, it will take you to an appropriate
                              village page (if it exists.)

                              Before I go crazy, I'd appreciate some feedback on how useful you would
                              find a feature like this.

                              Thanks!

                              --
                              Bill Tarkulich