Re: [S-R] Urbaria et Conscriptions

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
      Bill
      Doesn't conscription refer to military"draft" records?
      repectfully
      Larry kocik [Koczik, Koczich...ad naseum....]

      From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
      "Urbaria et Consription" = Feudal Property Census

      - a listing of all taxable property in the kingdom. These Census were
      done with great regularity. It is not intended to be a population census,
      though it does contain some aspects thereof - heads of household, names of
      property owners.
      Many of these records are available online (in Latin of course) via Arcanum.

      See
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_Arcanum.htm
      and
      http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

      Regards,
      Bill Tarkulich

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
        So, what does the word "jobbagy" mean in these records? Were serfs
        taxable property? Do these records index people as taxable
        property?

        <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:

        > "Urbaria et Consription" = Feudal Property Census
        >
        > - a listing of all taxable property in the kingdom. These Census
        were
        > done with great regularity. It is not intended to be a population
        census,
        > though it does contain some aspects thereof - heads of household,
        names of
        > property owners.
        > Many of these records are available online (in Latin of course)
        via Arcanum.

        > See
        > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_Arcanum.htm
        > and
        > http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html
        >
        > Regards,
        > Bill Tarkulich
        >
        > On Thu, December 8, 2005 2:59 pm, Carl Kotlarchik said:
        > > Does anyone know what the "Urbaria et Consription" records are?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Carl Kotlarchik

        email to
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > Bill Tarkulich
        > http://www.iabsi.com

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
          Serfs were not slaves. Their persons were not "owned," only their labor.
          They could not, for instance, be bought and sold. For much of the feudal
          period, especially in early times, they were tied to the land and were not
          permitted to leave it without permission of the landowner. If the landowner
          sold his land, the serfs went with it. Since one of the perquisites of the
          nobility was that they were not taxed, the tax burden fell on the serfs.
          That is why the census recorded how large their property was, and at least
          later, what buildings were on their property, what animals they owned, etc.

          Janet

          <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:

          > "Urbaria et Consription" = Feudal Property Census
          >
          > - a listing of all taxable property in the kingdom. These Census
          were
          > done with great regularity. It is not intended to be a population
          census,
          > though it does contain some aspects thereof - heads of household,
          names of
          > property owners.
          > Many of these records are available online (in Latin of course)
          via Arcanum.

          > See
          > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_Arcanum.htm
          > and
          > http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bill Tarkulich
          >
          > On Thu, December 8, 2005 2:59 pm, Carl Kotlarchik said:
          > > Does anyone know what the "Urbaria et Consription" records are?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Carl Kotlarchik

          email to
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Bill Tarkulich
          > http://www.iabsi.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Antal Burjan
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
            1.) Nyugodjon békében = Nyugodjék békében = May he (she) rest in peace
            2.) Urbaria et conscriptiones:
            "The nobility of Hungary controlled most of the land which in turn was leased to the peasants who had feudal obligations to their Lords. These obligations could be satisfied in labor, in kind, or in money. Among the nobility records of Hungary are the Urbaria, kept as early as 1750. A large part of these records were concerned with the nobility themselves, but the Urbaria also contain lists of peasants by name with their land rights, occasionally including names of family members, with amount of obligations of the peasant toward the estate owner, the conditions of payment, services owed to their lord by the peasants, and the size of the estate. They may also include age and relationship to previous leaseholder. Thus, in some ways, the Urbaria are similar to a census. The first general Urbarium register was made in 1770 to determine how many of the land-owning nobles had made employment contracts with the peasants. Other Urbaria were done in the 1780s and 1790s." (source:
            http://www.progenealogists.com/hungary/census-fhl.htm)

            Have a nice day (or good night) to all of you.

            "S. R." <srkrizan@...> escribió:
            I could also use help in Hungarian inscription on tombstones.
            Njudodjek Bekebi and Nyugodyon Bekeben

            Simon Krizan