RE: [S-R] Urbaria et Conscriptions

  • S. R.
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
      I could also use help in Hungarian inscription on tombstones.
      Njudodjek Bekebi and Nyugodyon Bekeben

      Simon Krizan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
        "Urbaria et Consription" = Feudal Property Census

        - a listing of all taxable property in the kingdom. These Census were
        done with great regularity. It is not intended to be a population census,
        though it does contain some aspects thereof - heads of household, names of
        property owners.
        Many of these records are available online (in Latin of course) via Arcanum.

        See
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_Arcanum.htm
        and
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

        Regards,
        Bill Tarkulich

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
          Bill
          Doesn't conscription refer to military"draft" records?
          repectfully
          Larry kocik [Koczik, Koczich...ad naseum....]

          From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Carl Kotlarchik
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
            So, what does the word "jobbagy" mean in these records? Were serfs
            taxable property? Do these records index people as taxable
            property?

            <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:

            > "Urbaria et Consription" = Feudal Property Census
            >
            > - a listing of all taxable property in the kingdom. These Census
            were
            > done with great regularity. It is not intended to be a population
            census,
            > though it does contain some aspects thereof - heads of household,
            names of
            > property owners.
            > Many of these records are available online (in Latin of course)
            via Arcanum.

            > See
            > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_Arcanum.htm
            > and
            > http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bill Tarkulich
            >
            > On Thu, December 8, 2005 2:59 pm, Carl Kotlarchik said:
            > > Does anyone know what the "Urbaria et Consription" records are?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Carl Kotlarchik

            email to
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Bill Tarkulich
            > http://www.iabsi.com

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
              Serfs were not slaves. Their persons were not "owned," only their labor.
              They could not, for instance, be bought and sold. For much of the feudal
              period, especially in early times, they were tied to the land and were not
              permitted to leave it without permission of the landowner. If the landowner
              sold his land, the serfs went with it. Since one of the perquisites of the
              nobility was that they were not taxed, the tax burden fell on the serfs.
              That is why the census recorded how large their property was, and at least
              later, what buildings were on their property, what animals they owned, etc.

              Janet

              <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:

              > "Urbaria et Consription" = Feudal Property Census
              >
              > - a listing of all taxable property in the kingdom. These Census
              were
              > done with great regularity. It is not intended to be a population
              census,
              > though it does contain some aspects thereof - heads of household,
              names of
              > property owners.
              > Many of these records are available online (in Latin of course)
              via Arcanum.

              > See
              > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_Arcanum.htm
              > and
              > http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html
              >
              > Regards,
              > Bill Tarkulich
              >
              > On Thu, December 8, 2005 2:59 pm, Carl Kotlarchik said:
              > > Does anyone know what the "Urbaria et Consription" records are?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Carl Kotlarchik

              email to
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > Bill Tarkulich
              > http://www.iabsi.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Antal Burjan
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2005
                1.) Nyugodjon békében = Nyugodjék békében = May he (she) rest in peace
                2.) Urbaria et conscriptiones:
                "The nobility of Hungary controlled most of the land which in turn was leased to the peasants who had feudal obligations to their Lords. These obligations could be satisfied in labor, in kind, or in money. Among the nobility records of Hungary are the Urbaria, kept as early as 1750. A large part of these records were concerned with the nobility themselves, but the Urbaria also contain lists of peasants by name with their land rights, occasionally including names of family members, with amount of obligations of the peasant toward the estate owner, the conditions of payment, services owed to their lord by the peasants, and the size of the estate. They may also include age and relationship to previous leaseholder. Thus, in some ways, the Urbaria are similar to a census. The first general Urbarium register was made in 1770 to determine how many of the land-owning nobles had made employment contracts with the peasants. Other Urbaria were done in the 1780s and 1790s." (source:
                http://www.progenealogists.com/hungary/census-fhl.htm)

                Have a nice day (or good night) to all of you.