RE: [S-R] Central Europe

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
      Well, it all depends on what your reference points are for measuring
      the center of Europe, since it's not like the area is nice smooth
      sphere or rectangle. There are at least 4 contenders in Slovakia,
      Ukraine, Poland, and Lithuania, and probably more:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_Center_of_Europe

      Joe A.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hello..........well I guess I have learned something here......I have always thought Hungary was Eastern Europe.....in fact, the friends I have in Hungary do identify themselves as "Eastern Europe". So is this a wide misconception??

        Bill......I am curious. I see you gave a website to back up the info. However, how does one become expert enough to be able to identify regions.......is this done by mapping or what. Would appreciate a viewpoint from you and others on this.

        Cheers,
        Aloysia (Jan)

        According to http://www.tol.cz

        Central Europe is
        czech republic estonia hungary latvia
        lithuania poland slovakia slovenia

        Eastern Europe is
        belarus moldova russia ukraine

        Seems reasonable to me.

        Bill Tarkulich

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
          Jan,

          As you can see, it all depends on your point of view. There is no
          "official definition."

          I cited the URL to give you the source of this, not to sanction it.

          Americans, as a group (and I am one) are incredibly ignorant of this
          region. Ask a few to place Slovakia on a map, or tell you what countries
          it is adjacent to. It's as bad as Sierra Leone.

          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
            Almost all recent scholarly works discuss the
            difficulty of assigning a geographical label to this
            region. Technically, Europe is not a distinct
            continent, but rather a large peninsula on the western
            part of the Eurasian landmass. As such, it is
            impossible to draw a line to define the 'limit' of
            Europe, let alone the 'eastern half' of it. The same
            ambiguity arises in other dimensions, such as history,
            politics, economics and society. Citizens in all of
            the countries between Germany and Russia consider
            themselves as naturally belonging to 'the West' and
            all look down on the nations just to their east as
            less developed and more backward.

            Pjotr Wandycz, author of 'The Price of Freedom',
            prefaces his book with an essay on this topic.

            I've spent the best part of the past 5 years in the
            Czech Rep, Slovakia and Hungary. I must agree that as
            one proceeds eastward from Germany, there is an
            obvious gradation downward in terms of economic
            development. From brief visits to Germany and
            Austria, my impression was that there is a better
            business sense and smoother administration there than
            here. Rules tend to make logical sense, and are
            followed more willingly and consistently. Socially,
            the family unit is very strong here in CR, S and H.
            Small children are cared for by grandparents while the
            parents work during the day; and often adult children
            live at home up to the age of 30. While a positive
            element of the culture, this sense of community
            doesn't extend far beyond the family circle. In
            addition, this entails a tremendous influence from the
            distant past in terms of ways of thinking, problem
            solving, work ethic, etc. The result is a society
            that doesn't function very efficiently in the
            collective. This social dynamics has a direct
            influence on business development. The communist era
            is often cited, and justifiably, as the blame for much
            of the current condition here, but it is my opinion
            that the cultural influence from the past provides a
            necessary supplemental explanation. Rather than these
            societies waking up from the communist hang-over and
            getting back to 'normal' (was the period 1918-1939
            normal?), I feel they finally are on an open road to
            develop their potential more naturally. It remains to
            be seen, if this will match that acheived in the West,
            or even surpass it. And this aspect should carry more
            weight in the determination of east, west or central
            designations than rivers or mountain ranges. Right
            now, I'm living in eastern Europe. Perhaps when I
            retire, I'll be returning to simply visit 'Europe.'

            John Venham

            === message truncated ===

            "The Journey is the Reward"

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
            dsl.yahoo.com
          • Jan Ammann
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
              Hello John........Thank you very much for your thoughtful and very worthy reply on this subject. Your explanation of the life of Cr, S, and H really hits the nail on the head for me. I have family in Hungary........and write very often for the last two years with two brothers........one who has remained in Hungary with an excellent job and one who has moved on to a really great position in another country in what I guess we would call "regular Europe"..........smile...

              The brother who has moved away now sees the restraint and the attitude of those back in Hungary as being more backward. I can tell by his words that he enjoys this new "mind freedom" (for want of a better word) and although he hopes to move back one day, he feels a "new life" has come to him and his family....a new way of thinking.

              The brother who is in Hungary is very nice and a hard worker but probably more set in his ways than his brother. As you indicated, he is very close to his parents. I do hear words like "the old ways" and when "the communists were here". So there is that mind set. However, he does look forward to a better life but I do see the differences between the two of them.

              I do believe, however, that these nations, especially Hungary, are moving toward a better business community which will open up new worlds for all its people.....better salaries, etc. They are moving upward.......not at the "speed of sound" but more slowly.....but they are "moving" and that is the criteria I look at.

              Again.......thank you for your words.................Jan

              === message truncated ===

              "The Journey is the Reward"

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
                Jan,

                You have had some good answers and different perspectives. I am
                surprised the source Bill named did not include Germany in Central
                Europe. Certainly the Germans consider themselves so, and back
                around 1914 so did we - Germany & Austria-Hungary were "the Central
                Powers".

                There is a desire for people of Europe to identify with the west,
                and the Lithuanians were quite happy that some Scandinavian
                geographer located the center of Europe so close to Vilnius.

                Traditionally I read that Europe ends at the Ural Mountains, but in
                looking at a topographic map of the Eurasian continent, the line is
                not so terribly obvious. I also suspect that Europe would never
                have been declared a continent if the concept had not been invented
                there.

                Getting into the sociology and business practices of the countries
                is a whole new ball of wax. I lived in Germany for 9 of my 10 years
                in Europe, and their social and business practices are quite
                different from ours, but happily also compatible. I suspect the new
                members of the EU will quickly adapt, but wonder if Russia will be
                able to make the radical change in the next 50 years. It is a great
                gap that separates us.

                Let's toast to the death of the Cold War! Too bad it did not die 50
                years earlier; we could have enjoyed our history and families that
                much sooner!

                Ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@s...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > see the marker indicating the geographical center of Europe - it
                > > sits in the eastern part of Zakarpattia, Ukraine, just across the
                > > Tisa from Romania, almost to the town of Rahkiv. Now, when I hear
                > > anyone, on this list or others, refer to Slovakia and Ukraine
                > > as "Eastern Europe," the first thing I want to do is to write a
                > > reply to correct the misconception. But, I never do it.

                > > topic, because you correctly identify the places of origin as
                > > Central Europe. Thank you!

                email to
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > Bill Tarkulich
                > http://www.iabsi.com

                > American family home insurance American family home insurance
                company American family home owner insurance Multi family home for
                sale Single family home for sale Family home finance

                Service.