Re: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

  • christopher gajda
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
      I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

      nhasior@... wrote:
      Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
      discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
      records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
      advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
      and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
      can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
      think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

      In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      voony@... writes:

      > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
      > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
      > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
      > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
      > problems
      >
      > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------

    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
        The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
        I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
        There are two words in hungarian which are close:
        Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
        Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
        Vladimir

        http://www.eset.sk