Central Europe

  • maureen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      Janet,
      On my most recent trip to Slovakia and Ukraine I was amazed to see the marker indicating the geographical center of Europe - it sits in the eastern part of Zakarpattia, Ukraine, just across the Tisa from Romania, almost to the town of Rahkiv. Now, when I hear anyone, on this list or others, refer to Slovakia and Ukraine as "Eastern Europe," the first thing I want to do is to write a reply to correct the misconception. But, I never do it.

      You have given me the opportunity to send a positive note on this topic, because you correctly identify the places of origin as Central Europe. Thank you!

      Maureen Pulignano
      www.deefalt.com

      Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:47:55 -0500
      From: "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      Subject: RE: Bohok and Bohunk

      I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
      referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
      is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
      another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
      have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
      Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
      it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
      Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

      Janet