Re: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

  • voony
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
      Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
      cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
      and get a life, leave this research group to what they
      do best "research" and not bother them with personal
      problems

      --- krisstrot@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
        Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
        discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
        records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
        advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
        and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
        can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
        think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

        In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        voony@... writes:

        > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
        > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
        > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
        > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
        > problems

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
          I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
          demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
          end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

          Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
          can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

          > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
          the
          > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
          ancestor's military
          > records as part of his name and the person researching the
          document asked for
          > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
          search engine
          > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
          Hungarian. someone who
          > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
          about but i
          > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
          >

          > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > voony@s... writes:
          >
          > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
          > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
          > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
          > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
          > > problems

        • christopher gajda
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
            I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

            voony@... writes:

            > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
            > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
            > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
            > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
            > problems
            >
            > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

            ---------------------------------

          • Vladimir Bohinc
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
              The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
              I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
              There are two words in hungarian which are close:
              Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
              Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
              Vladimir

              http://www.eset.sk