Re: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

  • krisstrot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
      From: Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:47:55 -0500
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

      I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
      referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
      is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
      another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
      have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
      Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
      it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
      Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

      Janet

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • voony
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
        Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
        cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
        and get a life, leave this research group to what they
        do best "research" and not bother them with personal
        problems

        --- krisstrot@... wrote:

        ---------------------------------

        I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
        euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
        referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
        "authorities" suggest it
        is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
        Hungarians. I think there is
        another explanation that they don't consider, and that
        is that the term may
        have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
        family name found in
        Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
        bothered me because
        it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
        together Bohemians and
        Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

        Janet

        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
        -or- send blank email to
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
        send blank email to

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
          Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
          discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
          records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
          advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
          and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
          can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
          think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

          In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          voony@... writes:

          > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
          > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
          > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
          > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
          > problems

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
            I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
            demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
            end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

            Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
            can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

            > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
            the
            > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
            ancestor's military
            > records as part of his name and the person researching the
            document asked for
            > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
            search engine
            > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
            Hungarian. someone who
            > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
            about but i
            > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
            >

            > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > voony@s... writes:
            >
            > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
            > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
            > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
            > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
            > > problems

          • christopher gajda
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
              I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

              voony@... writes:

              > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
              > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
              > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
              > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
              > problems
              >
              > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

              ---------------------------------

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
                I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
                There are two words in hungarian which are close:
                Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
                Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
                Vladimir

                http://www.eset.sk