RE: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
      I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
      referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
      is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
      another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
      have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
      Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
      it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
      Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

      Janet
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
        Most online dictionaries give the same definition and derivation for Bohunk. Below is are sightings by historians on the use of the word.

        The major pejorative label for Slavic immigrants, including Serbs, was "hunky" (pl. hunkies). This term emanated from a combination of Bohemian and Hungarian-Bohunk-and first appeared in print in the early 1900s. Idiomatic usage shortened Bohunk to hunky. While hunky's derivation came from a term for Czech and Hungarian immigrants, Anglo-- Americans used it as a blanket term for all Slavic immigrants. Immigration historian Victor Greene stated that Anglo-Americans considered hunkies to be backward and unable to function in a democratic society such as the United States. David Roediger and James R. Barrett claim that Anglo-- Americans linked the word hunky "with perceived immigrant racial characteristics." Historian Josephine Wtulich believed that the term hunky presented the Slavs as "docile, subservient, conservative, traditional, dull, naive, primitive[, and] clannish.

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
          I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
          referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
          is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
          another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
          have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
          Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
          it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
          Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

          Janet

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • voony
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
            Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
            cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
            and get a life, leave this research group to what they
            do best "research" and not bother them with personal
            problems

            --- krisstrot@... wrote:

            ---------------------------------

            I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
            euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
            referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
            "authorities" suggest it
            is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
            Hungarians. I think there is
            another explanation that they don't consider, and that
            is that the term may
            have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
            family name found in
            Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
            bothered me because
            it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
            together Bohemians and
            Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

            Janet

            To unsubscribe from this group, go to
            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
            -or- send blank email to
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
            send blank email to

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
              Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
              discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
              records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
              advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
              and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
              can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
              think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

              In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              voony@... writes:

              > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
              > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
              > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
              > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
              > problems

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
                demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
                end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

                Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
                can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

                Ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

                > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
                the
                > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
                ancestor's military
                > records as part of his name and the person researching the
                document asked for
                > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
                search engine
                > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
                Hungarian. someone who
                > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
                about but i
                > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
                >

                > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > voony@s... writes:
                >
                > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                > > problems

              • christopher gajda
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                  I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

                  voony@... writes:

                  > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                  > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                  > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                  > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                  > problems
                  >
                  > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                  ---------------------------------

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                    The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
                    I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
                    There are two words in hungarian which are close:
                    Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
                    Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
                    Vladimir

                    http://www.eset.sk