Re: [S-R] Relationships with the Priest

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
      Bill,
      On my last trip to Slovakia I spent five days with my cousin, Jozef Dronzek. He is the Dekan of the Roman Catholic Church in Trebisov. I can tell you that I found his salary to be very little in relationship to his responsibilities. Jozef oversees some fifty villages around Trebisov. He is responsible for saying Mass in three villages. He tries to visit each village during the month. Because of his duties the cost of gasoline consumes one-third of his monthly salary. The diocese does not reimburse him any "business expenses".
      Jozef and the Bishop have different opinions on the role of priests in villages. Jozef would like to see a priest in every village so they can become part of the fabric and life of it. The Bishop prefers to concentrate the priests in larger city and towns and send them out to do there duties or when they are called for.
      From my stay in Hromos I know that their priest resided in Plavnica. I believe he was responsible for a couple of more small villages.
      I was with Jozef when he visited two village priests. I noticed that both were raising chickens and rabbits. And each had a large garden. So it seems, even today's priests have to find a means to stretch their salaries.
      I could write Jozef about the workings of the Church in Slovakia. He may even have some information on how things were done in the past.
      Michael Mojher

      -----

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
        In a message dated 11/29/05 9:12:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        bill.tarkulich@... writes:

        > I would be interested in hearing what others have learned about priests in
        > small villages.

        In Passaic, New Jersey, some of the church administration "from above" for
        the ethnic Polish and Slovak churches very much offended the parishioners. They
        saw their contributions being spent outside of their community and very
        little returned to their church. they saw beloved priests returned to the old
        country and priests that understood little of their ethnic traditions appointed in
        their place. so much that they rather "broke away" and rebuilt their own
        churches, over again. still tied to Rome but funded and operated by their own
        congregation. i am therefore guessing that in the old country, the parishioners
        had more say and more responsibility in the running of the parish church.