Vamos Surname - Vamos Placename

  • John Vamos
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2005
      Would anyone have a feel for the likelihood that a Vamos surname would be associated with a Vamos placename? I found that "vamos", in a Hungarian dictionary, means customs collector or toll taker - none of my lineage back to the early 1800s had occupations other than that of a tenant farmer. The Gazetteer of the Kingdom of Hungary 1877 has at least a dozen places that are named some form of Vamos; either Vamos or Vamos with a prefix or suffix - none of these placenames are in Abauj-Torna County where my ancestors lived. The reason I ask is that I have come to an impasse , or maybe a dead end in finding the birth and marriage of my ggg-gf. The earliest record is the birth of children in Bogdany ( Also Mislye RC Church records) in 1825, although the church records go back to the 1780s. From 1828 until my gf emigrated to the US in 1910 the families lived in Also Csaj ( Nizni Caj).

      I have looked at the 1828 census for all of the enumerated villages in Abauj-Torna and found Vamos surnames in Regteruska and Petoszinye, present day Ruskov and Svinica. I have searched the LDS RC church records (Regeteruszka records include both villages) for my ggg-gf with no success. I found that inquilinus heads of household were included in the census. I have also looked at GC records for Zdoba and Ujvaros, which contains records for the region, since my ggg-gm was noted as being GC on one of the birth records of her children. I found no pertinent information.

      It appears that my ggg-gf was born somewhere else than Bogdany or Also Csaj- maybe a different county? Which brings me to the Vamos placename inquiry. I'm just not sure how productive it would be to search other counties. Does anyone know of migration patterns in the Kingdom of Hungary?

      John Vamos