Re: Military passport document

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
      Bill,
      Yes, my document looks exactly like the 1899 Military Passport book
      you have illustrated. Interestingly, your example shows the same
      kind of middle name being used. The individual's name you show is
      Gyorgy Szekerak and you will see that between his first and last
      name is a word that I cannot make out but looks like (:Andrillar:).
      He was in the 2nd regiment of a unit and had completed his active
      duty. George was being assigned to a reserve unit until 1904 and
      then a 2nd level reserve unit until 1909.

      When I first saw this "middle name" in my document, I thought it
      might have some significance. But after some corresponse with
      Vladmir Bohinc, I must agree with him that it is just a "nickname"
      and has no importance.
      Vladmir says that it was standard to write a nickname in the form
      (:nickname:).

      Thanks to all for the many responses to my inquiry.

      Carl