Re: FORIS

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Jan Snodgrass" <janastrox@s...>
      wrote:
      > Searching for family of Elizabeth MOLNAR FORIZS. Came to US from
      > Marghita Hungary (now Romania) abt 1913/1914 with family. Husband's
      > name Joseph FORIZS b; Bihary? Hungary.
      > Thanks
      > Jan

      It is extremely difficult to do research in Romania.
      If you write the Romanian Archives in Bucharest, they probably
      will never reply to your query.

      Romanian is a Romance language (i.e. French, Italian,Spanish,
      and Portuguese) and not a Slavic language (neither is Hungarian)

      Two places called Biharia are located in Romania.
      You want Biharia located 275 miles NW of Bucharest and
      located just over the current Hungarian border near Oradea,
      Romania.

      http://www.rotravel.com/counties/bihor/about.htm

      WW I began in August 1914 in Europe.
      At peace treaty (1919), Romania received a strip of the Hungary -
      from Szeged past Debrecen, plus Bukovina, the Banat, and Transylvania
      for switching to the Allied side.

      Marghita (Margitta) is located about 20 miles NE of
      Biharia.
      (In Romanian, the letter gh is pron like g in English word
      girl)

      18 surname Forizs are listed in the U.S. Social Security Death Index.
      (In Hungarian, the letter zs is pron. s)

      http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Forizs&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20
      =&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit42
      3=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

      Molnár means (grain) miller in Hungarian.
      Probably 25,000-30,000 surname bearers just in Hungary.