Re: [S-R] Re: Bohok translation or reference

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
      Dear Carl,
      So the mistery is, why is this Bohok there and what does it mean?
      I still am inclined to believe, it was a nickname. Why it is there God knows. If a word like this is between first and lat name, then it has only to do with the name itself and not with rank or anything else if this is what you might have had in mind.
      I see no special meaning to that. As I wrote before, comrades often give you a nickname.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
        Bill,
        Yes, my document looks exactly like the 1899 Military Passport book
        you have illustrated. Interestingly, your example shows the same
        kind of middle name being used. The individual's name you show is
        Gyorgy Szekerak and you will see that between his first and last
        name is a word that I cannot make out but looks like (:Andrillar:).
        He was in the 2nd regiment of a unit and had completed his active
        duty. George was being assigned to a reserve unit until 1904 and
        then a 2nd level reserve unit until 1909.

        When I first saw this "middle name" in my document, I thought it
        might have some significance. But after some corresponse with
        Vladmir Bohinc, I must agree with him that it is just a "nickname"
        and has no importance.
        Vladmir says that it was standard to write a nickname in the form
        (:nickname:).

        Thanks to all for the many responses to my inquiry.

        Carl