Re: Bohok translation or reference

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
      Thanks for the suggestions. The document appears to be an identity
      card and is a small book like a passport. It is written in
      Hungarian. It was issued in 1896 in Hungary and details the
      military service of the individual. It indicates that the person
      had "faithfully" completed their active duty and was now being
      assigned to a reserve unit. There is an official tone to the
      document so I think it unlikely that it is derogatory comment. The
      word appears as (:Bohók:) and is inserted between the first and last
      names of the individual so perhaps it was a nickname. However, I
      have many documents for this individual (baptism, marriage, death,
      immigration, citizenship, etc.) and none contain this word. I have
      also researched the family back another five generations so I know
      it is not a family name. I believe it was common for these military
      identity books to be used as passport papers when leaving the
      country.

      Carl

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
      wrote:

      > Carl did not indicate what language the military record was
      written in. My
      > example was obviously Hungarian. In that case he was born with the
      name
      > János but changed his name to Jenõ. We are not yet certain where
      Ödön came
      > from. It is perhaps on his birth registration, which we have yet
      to locate.

      > Do you have an opinion on Bohók as a name? Have you ever seen this
      either as
      > a first name or as a family name, in either Slovakian or
      Hungarian? I would

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
        Does it look like the sample illustrated here
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/document_examples.htm#1907

        Bill Tarkulich

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
          Dear Carl,
          So the mistery is, why is this Bohok there and what does it mean?
          I still am inclined to believe, it was a nickname. Why it is there God knows. If a word like this is between first and lat name, then it has only to do with the name itself and not with rank or anything else if this is what you might have had in mind.
          I see no special meaning to that. As I wrote before, comrades often give you a nickname.
          Vladimir

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Carl Kotlarchik
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
            Bill,
            Yes, my document looks exactly like the 1899 Military Passport book
            you have illustrated. Interestingly, your example shows the same
            kind of middle name being used. The individual's name you show is
            Gyorgy Szekerak and you will see that between his first and last
            name is a word that I cannot make out but looks like (:Andrillar:).
            He was in the 2nd regiment of a unit and had completed his active
            duty. George was being assigned to a reserve unit until 1904 and
            then a 2nd level reserve unit until 1909.

            When I first saw this "middle name" in my document, I thought it
            might have some significance. But after some corresponse with
            Vladmir Bohinc, I must agree with him that it is just a "nickname"
            and has no importance.
            Vladmir says that it was standard to write a nickname in the form
            (:nickname:).

            Thanks to all for the many responses to my inquiry.

            Carl