Re: [S-R] Need translation or reference

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
      This is quite a usual thing. Some men had nicknames or aliases. They were not choosen by the bearer or his family, but given by the community either to him personally or to some of his ancestors or was attached the the family, which lived in that particular house before.
      One of those possibilities.
      Sometimes a man got a nickname while serving in the army. I was called "White", because I was blond, among mostly darker skinned ones.
      Vladimir Bohinc

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
        Carl did not indicate what language the military record was written in. My
        example was obviously Hungarian. In that case he was born with the name
        János but changed his name to Jenő. We are not yet certain where Ödön came
        from. It is perhaps on his birth registration, which we have yet to locate.

        Do you have an opinion on Bohók as a name? Have you ever seen this either as
        a first name or as a family name, in either Slovakian or Hungarian? I would
        not think that a military record would include a nickname. I would guess
        that if you were called "White" by your friends in the army, it would still
        not be used on an official document.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
          Janet, your name transition is unusual and therefore can not be applied to
          other Jenos.
          Re Bohok, this does not seem to ever have evolved into a real surname. Not
          in the phone book and neither in my surname collection.
          It is just a simple alias as many others.
          As far as I know, nicknames were not included in military records.
          The priest, who wrote down the nicknames was closed to and more intimate
          with the families . Therefore he may have written that. Also for his own
          orientation, if there were several with the same name there. The authority
          always operated with names, birth dates, places of birth and maybe father's
          name.
          Although an alias can be very helpful in genealogical research, it's general
          importance is sometimes overestimated.
          Also a translation of a surname is something without much sense. Where we,
          Slovaks, would have come, if we would translate american surnames? Most
          american surnames sound so respectful, but an Betka Krajcirova would be
          simply laughable. The same with Juraj Krik.
          I wonder, who will laugh first here :-)
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
            I agree with everything you say. But did not Carl say this was a "military
            passport" rather than church records?

            Janet

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
              Dear Janet,
              I don't remeber. It can be.
              If he thinks this is important he can research and follow the Bohok line if
              there is any. This is all what I can say to that.
              I haven't seen the document myself.
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                I suspect that Bohok may indicate Bohemian. Just a guess. I am thinking of
                the euphemism "Bohunk" when I say this. I expect those with more knowledge
                than I will properly respond to this guess. By the way, my wife's people
                were sometimes said to be Bohemians.

                Jim Crownover-.
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                  I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                  referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
                  is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
                  another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
                  have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
                  Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
                  it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
                  Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                  Janet
                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                    Most online dictionaries give the same definition and derivation for Bohunk. Below is are sightings by historians on the use of the word.

                    The major pejorative label for Slavic immigrants, including Serbs, was "hunky" (pl. hunkies). This term emanated from a combination of Bohemian and Hungarian-Bohunk-and first appeared in print in the early 1900s. Idiomatic usage shortened Bohunk to hunky. While hunky's derivation came from a term for Czech and Hungarian immigrants, Anglo-- Americans used it as a blanket term for all Slavic immigrants. Immigration historian Victor Greene stated that Anglo-Americans considered hunkies to be backward and unable to function in a democratic society such as the United States. David Roediger and James R. Barrett claim that Anglo-- Americans linked the word hunky "with perceived immigrant racial characteristics." Historian Josephine Wtulich believed that the term hunky presented the Slavs as "docile, subservient, conservative, traditional, dull, naive, primitive[, and] clannish.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                        Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                        cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                        and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                        do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                        problems

                        --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                        ---------------------------------

                        I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
                        euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                        referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
                        "authorities" suggest it
                        is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
                        Hungarians. I think there is
                        another explanation that they don't consider, and that
                        is that the term may
                        have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
                        family name found in
                        Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
                        bothered me because
                        it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
                        together Bohemians and
                        Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                        Janet

                        To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                        -or- send blank email to
                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                        send blank email to

                        Terms of Service.

                        ---------------------------------
                      • nhasior@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
                          discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
                          records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
                          advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
                          and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
                          can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
                          think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

                          In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          voony@... writes:

                          > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                          > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                          > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                          > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                          > problems

                        • amiak27
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                            I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
                            demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
                            end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

                            Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
                            can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

                            Ron

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

                            > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
                            the
                            > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
                            ancestor's military
                            > records as part of his name and the person researching the
                            document asked for
                            > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
                            search engine
                            > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
                            Hungarian. someone who
                            > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
                            about but i
                            > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
                            >

                            > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            > voony@s... writes:
                            >
                            > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                            > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                            > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                            > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                            > > problems

                          • christopher gajda
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                              I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

                              voony@... writes:

                              > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                              > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                              > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                              > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                              > problems
                              >
                              > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                              ---------------------------------

                            • Vladimir Bohinc
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
                                I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
                                There are two words in hungarian which are close:
                                Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
                                Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
                                Vladimir

                                http://www.eset.sk