Re: [S-R] Need translation or reference

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
      A hungarian Jeno is slovak Eugen and is not equal to Janos, which is Jan.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
        This is quite a usual thing. Some men had nicknames or aliases. They were not choosen by the bearer or his family, but given by the community either to him personally or to some of his ancestors or was attached the the family, which lived in that particular house before.
        One of those possibilities.
        Sometimes a man got a nickname while serving in the army. I was called "White", because I was blond, among mostly darker skinned ones.
        Vladimir Bohinc

        I have come across a strange word in a 1896 military passport document
        for which I cannot find a reference. Does anyone know what the term
        "Bohok" might mean? The word is in parenthesis between the first and
        last names of the individual. There is an accent mark on the
        second "o". Perhaps it was a nickname? It is used everytime the
        individual's name appears in the document but I have not found the
        term in any of the other records for this individual. I also have not
        been able to find the term in either a Hungarian or a Slovak
        dictionary.

        Carl Kotlarchik

        http://www.eset.sk

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
          Carl did not indicate what language the military record was written in. My
          example was obviously Hungarian. In that case he was born with the name
          János but changed his name to Jenő. We are not yet certain where Ödön came
          from. It is perhaps on his birth registration, which we have yet to locate.

          Do you have an opinion on Bohók as a name? Have you ever seen this either as
          a first name or as a family name, in either Slovakian or Hungarian? I would
          not think that a military record would include a nickname. I would guess
          that if you were called "White" by your friends in the army, it would still
          not be used on an official document.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
            Janet, your name transition is unusual and therefore can not be applied to
            other Jenos.
            Re Bohok, this does not seem to ever have evolved into a real surname. Not
            in the phone book and neither in my surname collection.
            It is just a simple alias as many others.
            As far as I know, nicknames were not included in military records.
            The priest, who wrote down the nicknames was closed to and more intimate
            with the families . Therefore he may have written that. Also for his own
            orientation, if there were several with the same name there. The authority
            always operated with names, birth dates, places of birth and maybe father's
            name.
            Although an alias can be very helpful in genealogical research, it's general
            importance is sometimes overestimated.
            Also a translation of a surname is something without much sense. Where we,
            Slovaks, would have come, if we would translate american surnames? Most
            american surnames sound so respectful, but an Betka Krajcirova would be
            simply laughable. The same with Juraj Krik.
            I wonder, who will laugh first here :-)
            Vladimir

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
              I agree with everything you say. But did not Carl say this was a "military
              passport" rather than church records?

              Janet

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                Dear Janet,
                I don't remeber. It can be.
                If he thinks this is important he can research and follow the Bohok line if
                there is any. This is all what I can say to that.
                I haven't seen the document myself.
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                  I suspect that Bohok may indicate Bohemian. Just a guess. I am thinking of
                  the euphemism "Bohunk" when I say this. I expect those with more knowledge
                  than I will properly respond to this guess. By the way, my wife's people
                  were sometimes said to be Bohemians.

                  Jim Crownover-.
                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                    I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                    referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
                    is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
                    another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
                    have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
                    Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
                    it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
                    Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                    Janet
                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                      Most online dictionaries give the same definition and derivation for Bohunk. Below is are sightings by historians on the use of the word.

                      The major pejorative label for Slavic immigrants, including Serbs, was "hunky" (pl. hunkies). This term emanated from a combination of Bohemian and Hungarian-Bohunk-and first appeared in print in the early 1900s. Idiomatic usage shortened Bohunk to hunky. While hunky's derivation came from a term for Czech and Hungarian immigrants, Anglo-- Americans used it as a blanket term for all Slavic immigrants. Immigration historian Victor Greene stated that Anglo-Americans considered hunkies to be backward and unable to function in a democratic society such as the United States. David Roediger and James R. Barrett claim that Anglo-- Americans linked the word hunky "with perceived immigrant racial characteristics." Historian Josephine Wtulich believed that the term hunky presented the Slavs as "docile, subservient, conservative, traditional, dull, naive, primitive[, and] clannish.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                          cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                          and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                          do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                          problems

                          --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                          ---------------------------------

                          I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
                          euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                          referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
                          "authorities" suggest it
                          is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
                          Hungarians. I think there is
                          another explanation that they don't consider, and that
                          is that the term may
                          have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
                          family name found in
                          Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
                          bothered me because
                          it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
                          together Bohemians and
                          Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                          Janet

                          To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                          -or- send blank email to
                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                          send blank email to

                          Terms of Service.

                          ---------------------------------
                        • nhasior@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                            Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
                            discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
                            records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
                            advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
                            and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
                            can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
                            think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

                            In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                            voony@... writes:

                            > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                            > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                            > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                            > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                            > problems

                          • amiak27
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                              I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
                              demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
                              end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

                              Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
                              can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

                              Ron

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

                              > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
                              the
                              > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
                              ancestor's military
                              > records as part of his name and the person researching the
                              document asked for
                              > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
                              search engine
                              > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
                              Hungarian. someone who
                              > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
                              about but i
                              > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
                              >

                              > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              > voony@s... writes:
                              >
                              > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                              > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                              > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                              > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                              > > problems

                            • christopher gajda
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

                                voony@... writes:

                                > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                                > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                                > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                                > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                                > problems
                                >
                                > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                                ---------------------------------

                              • Vladimir Bohinc
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
                                  I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
                                  There are two words in hungarian which are close:
                                  Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
                                  Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
                                  Vladimir

                                  http://www.eset.sk