RE: [S-R] Need translation or reference

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
      From your description it sounds like it was an alternative first name. The
      military record for the person I am researching lists "Jenő (János, Ödön),"
      which were other names by which he was known.

      The Hungarian word bohóc means clown or fool, but I wouldn't dare to guess
      if this word is related.

      Janet

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
        A hungarian Jeno is slovak Eugen and is not equal to Janos, which is Jan.
        Vladimir

        I have come across a strange word in a 1896 military passport document
        for which I cannot find a reference. Does anyone know what the term
        "Bohok" might mean? The word is in parenthesis between the first and
        last names of the individual. There is an accent mark on the
        second "o". Perhaps it was a nickname? It is used everytime the
        individual's name appears in the document but I have not found the
        term in any of the other records for this individual. I also have not
        been able to find the term in either a Hungarian or a Slovak
        dictionary.

        Carl Kotlarchik

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.eset.sk
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
          This is quite a usual thing. Some men had nicknames or aliases. They were not choosen by the bearer or his family, but given by the community either to him personally or to some of his ancestors or was attached the the family, which lived in that particular house before.
          One of those possibilities.
          Sometimes a man got a nickname while serving in the army. I was called "White", because I was blond, among mostly darker skinned ones.
          Vladimir Bohinc

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
            Carl did not indicate what language the military record was written in. My
            example was obviously Hungarian. In that case he was born with the name
            János but changed his name to Jenő. We are not yet certain where Ödön came
            from. It is perhaps on his birth registration, which we have yet to locate.

            Do you have an opinion on Bohók as a name? Have you ever seen this either as
            a first name or as a family name, in either Slovakian or Hungarian? I would
            not think that a military record would include a nickname. I would guess
            that if you were called "White" by your friends in the army, it would still
            not be used on an official document.

            Janet

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
              Janet, your name transition is unusual and therefore can not be applied to
              other Jenos.
              Re Bohok, this does not seem to ever have evolved into a real surname. Not
              in the phone book and neither in my surname collection.
              It is just a simple alias as many others.
              As far as I know, nicknames were not included in military records.
              The priest, who wrote down the nicknames was closed to and more intimate
              with the families . Therefore he may have written that. Also for his own
              orientation, if there were several with the same name there. The authority
              always operated with names, birth dates, places of birth and maybe father's
              name.
              Although an alias can be very helpful in genealogical research, it's general
              importance is sometimes overestimated.
              Also a translation of a surname is something without much sense. Where we,
              Slovaks, would have come, if we would translate american surnames? Most
              american surnames sound so respectful, but an Betka Krajcirova would be
              simply laughable. The same with Juraj Krik.
              I wonder, who will laugh first here :-)
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                I agree with everything you say. But did not Carl say this was a "military
                passport" rather than church records?

                Janet

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                  Dear Janet,
                  I don't remeber. It can be.
                  If he thinks this is important he can research and follow the Bohok line if
                  there is any. This is all what I can say to that.
                  I haven't seen the document myself.
                  Vladimir

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                    I suspect that Bohok may indicate Bohemian. Just a guess. I am thinking of
                    the euphemism "Bohunk" when I say this. I expect those with more knowledge
                    than I will properly respond to this guess. By the way, my wife's people
                    were sometimes said to be Bohemians.

                    Jim Crownover-.
                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                      I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                      referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
                      is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
                      another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
                      have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
                      Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
                      it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
                      Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                      Janet
                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                        Most online dictionaries give the same definition and derivation for Bohunk. Below is are sightings by historians on the use of the word.

                        The major pejorative label for Slavic immigrants, including Serbs, was "hunky" (pl. hunkies). This term emanated from a combination of Bohemian and Hungarian-Bohunk-and first appeared in print in the early 1900s. Idiomatic usage shortened Bohunk to hunky. While hunky's derivation came from a term for Czech and Hungarian immigrants, Anglo-- Americans used it as a blanket term for all Slavic immigrants. Immigration historian Victor Greene stated that Anglo-Americans considered hunkies to be backward and unable to function in a democratic society such as the United States. David Roediger and James R. Barrett claim that Anglo-- Americans linked the word hunky "with perceived immigrant racial characteristics." Historian Josephine Wtulich believed that the term hunky presented the Slavs as "docile, subservient, conservative, traditional, dull, naive, primitive[, and] clannish.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                            Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                            cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                            and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                            do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                            problems

                            --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                            ---------------------------------

                            I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
                            euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                            referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
                            "authorities" suggest it
                            is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
                            Hungarians. I think there is
                            another explanation that they don't consider, and that
                            is that the term may
                            have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
                            family name found in
                            Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
                            bothered me because
                            it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
                            together Bohemians and
                            Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                            Janet

                            To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                            -or- send blank email to
                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                            send blank email to

                            Terms of Service.

                            ---------------------------------
                          • nhasior@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                              Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
                              discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
                              records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
                              advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
                              and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
                              can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
                              think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

                              In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                              voony@... writes:

                              > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                              > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                              > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                              > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                              > problems

                            • amiak27
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                                I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
                                demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
                                end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

                                Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
                                can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

                                Ron

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

                                > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
                                the
                                > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
                                ancestor's military
                                > records as part of his name and the person researching the
                                document asked for
                                > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
                                search engine
                                > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
                                Hungarian. someone who
                                > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
                                about but i
                                > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
                                >

                                > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                > voony@s... writes:
                                >
                                > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                                > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                                > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                                > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                                > > problems

                              • christopher gajda
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

                                  voony@... writes:

                                  > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                                  > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                                  > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                                  > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                                  > problems
                                  >
                                  > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                                  ---------------------------------

                                • Vladimir Bohinc
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                    The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
                                    I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
                                    There are two words in hungarian which are close:
                                    Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
                                    Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
                                    Vladimir

                                    http://www.eset.sk