Need translation or reference

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
      I have come across a strange word in a 1896 military passport document
      for which I cannot find a reference. Does anyone know what the term
      "Bohok" might mean? The word is in parenthesis between the first and
      last names of the individual. There is an accent mark on the
      second "o". Perhaps it was a nickname? It is used everytime the
      individual's name appears in the document but I have not found the
      term in any of the other records for this individual. I also have not
      been able to find the term in either a Hungarian or a Slovak
      dictionary.

      Carl Kotlarchik
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
        From your description it sounds like it was an alternative first name. The
        military record for the person I am researching lists "Jenő (János, Ödön),"
        which were other names by which he was known.

        The Hungarian word bohóc means clown or fool, but I wouldn't dare to guess
        if this word is related.

        Janet

        I have come across a strange word in a 1896 military passport document
        for which I cannot find a reference. Does anyone know what the term
        "Bohok" might mean? The word is in parenthesis between the first and
        last names of the individual. There is an accent mark on the
        second "o". Perhaps it was a nickname? It is used everytime the
        individual's name appears in the document but I have not found the
        term in any of the other records for this individual. I also have not
        been able to find the term in either a Hungarian or a Slovak
        dictionary.

        Carl Kotlarchik

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
          A hungarian Jeno is slovak Eugen and is not equal to Janos, which is Jan.
          Vladimir

          I have come across a strange word in a 1896 military passport document
          for which I cannot find a reference. Does anyone know what the term
          "Bohok" might mean? The word is in parenthesis between the first and
          last names of the individual. There is an accent mark on the
          second "o". Perhaps it was a nickname? It is used everytime the
          individual's name appears in the document but I have not found the
          term in any of the other records for this individual. I also have not
          been able to find the term in either a Hungarian or a Slovak
          dictionary.

          Carl Kotlarchik

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.eset.sk
        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 28, 2005
            This is quite a usual thing. Some men had nicknames or aliases. They were not choosen by the bearer or his family, but given by the community either to him personally or to some of his ancestors or was attached the the family, which lived in that particular house before.
            One of those possibilities.
            Sometimes a man got a nickname while serving in the army. I was called "White", because I was blond, among mostly darker skinned ones.
            Vladimir Bohinc

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
              Carl did not indicate what language the military record was written in. My
              example was obviously Hungarian. In that case he was born with the name
              János but changed his name to Jenő. We are not yet certain where Ödön came
              from. It is perhaps on his birth registration, which we have yet to locate.

              Do you have an opinion on Bohók as a name? Have you ever seen this either as
              a first name or as a family name, in either Slovakian or Hungarian? I would
              not think that a military record would include a nickname. I would guess
              that if you were called "White" by your friends in the army, it would still
              not be used on an official document.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                Janet, your name transition is unusual and therefore can not be applied to
                other Jenos.
                Re Bohok, this does not seem to ever have evolved into a real surname. Not
                in the phone book and neither in my surname collection.
                It is just a simple alias as many others.
                As far as I know, nicknames were not included in military records.
                The priest, who wrote down the nicknames was closed to and more intimate
                with the families . Therefore he may have written that. Also for his own
                orientation, if there were several with the same name there. The authority
                always operated with names, birth dates, places of birth and maybe father's
                name.
                Although an alias can be very helpful in genealogical research, it's general
                importance is sometimes overestimated.
                Also a translation of a surname is something without much sense. Where we,
                Slovaks, would have come, if we would translate american surnames? Most
                american surnames sound so respectful, but an Betka Krajcirova would be
                simply laughable. The same with Juraj Krik.
                I wonder, who will laugh first here :-)
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                  I agree with everything you say. But did not Carl say this was a "military
                  passport" rather than church records?

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                    Dear Janet,
                    I don't remeber. It can be.
                    If he thinks this is important he can research and follow the Bohok line if
                    there is any. This is all what I can say to that.
                    I haven't seen the document myself.
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                      I suspect that Bohok may indicate Bohemian. Just a guess. I am thinking of
                      the euphemism "Bohunk" when I say this. I expect those with more knowledge
                      than I will properly respond to this guess. By the way, my wife's people
                      were sometimes said to be Bohemians.

                      Jim Crownover-.
                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                        I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                        referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
                        is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
                        another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
                        have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
                        Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
                        it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
                        Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                        Janet
                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 29, 2005
                          Most online dictionaries give the same definition and derivation for Bohunk. Below is are sightings by historians on the use of the word.

                          The major pejorative label for Slavic immigrants, including Serbs, was "hunky" (pl. hunkies). This term emanated from a combination of Bohemian and Hungarian-Bohunk-and first appeared in print in the early 1900s. Idiomatic usage shortened Bohunk to hunky. While hunky's derivation came from a term for Czech and Hungarian immigrants, Anglo-- Americans used it as a blanket term for all Slavic immigrants. Immigration historian Victor Greene stated that Anglo-Americans considered hunkies to be backward and unable to function in a democratic society such as the United States. David Roediger and James R. Barrett claim that Anglo-- Americans linked the word hunky "with perceived immigrant racial characteristics." Historian Josephine Wtulich believed that the term hunky presented the Slavs as "docile, subservient, conservative, traditional, dull, naive, primitive[, and] clannish.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                              Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                              cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                              and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                              do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                              problems

                              --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                              ---------------------------------

                              I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
                              euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
                              referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
                              "authorities" suggest it
                              is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
                              Hungarians. I think there is
                              another explanation that they don't consider, and that
                              is that the term may
                              have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
                              family name found in
                              Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
                              bothered me because
                              it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
                              together Bohemians and
                              Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

                              Janet

                              To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                              http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                              -or- send blank email to
                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
                              send blank email to

                              Terms of Service.

                              ---------------------------------
                            • nhasior@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                                Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of the
                                discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an ancestor's military
                                records as part of his name and the person researching the document asked for
                                advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com search engine
                                and it seems that the websites related to that word are Hungarian. someone who
                                can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking about but i
                                think that it means hair or head or something along that line.

                                In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                voony@... writes:

                                > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                                > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                                > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                                > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                                > problems

                              • amiak27
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 30, 2005
                                  I enjoy finding word relationships as much as anyone and have
                                  demonstrated that I will jump to a conclusion as well, but in the
                                  end that all demands backup when you are working genealogy.

                                  Caution is a good thing to practice with word similarities, or you
                                  can quickly deduct that Germans are descended from Germs.

                                  Ron

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

                                  > Not to be combative but Bohunk was very much legitimately part of
                                  the
                                  > discussion only because the word Bohok was inserted into an
                                  ancestor's military
                                  > records as part of his name and the person researching the
                                  document asked for
                                  > advice on its meaning. i decided to put Bohok into the Google.com
                                  search engine
                                  > and it seems that the websites related to that word are
                                  Hungarian. someone who
                                  > can read Hungarian may be able to decide what they are talking
                                  about but i
                                  > think that it means hair or head or something along that line.
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 11/30/05 7:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  > voony@s... writes:
                                  >
                                  > > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                                  > > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                                  > > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                                  > > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                                  > > problems

                                • christopher gajda
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                    I have to agree that language and other "off-topic" subjects are legitimately part of a genealogy site. Unless genealogy offers insite into language, history, culture, religion, politics, art, etc, it has no value. All it is is a list of "begats"

                                    voony@... writes:

                                    > Who ever said "Bohunk" was a derogatory word? and who
                                    > cares where it was derived from? I suggest you drop it
                                    > and get a life, leave this research group to what they
                                    > do best "research" and not bother them with personal
                                    > problems
                                    >
                                    > --- krisstrot@... wrote:

                                    ---------------------------------

                                  • Vladimir Bohinc
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 1, 2005
                                      The best and the only way to find out what the possible meaning of this nickname could have been would be to ask the people from the location where it was given. There is absolutely no way in seeing any connection between a nickname of a person here and a general nickname to a group of people which was given to them in US. This creates only confusion.
                                      I did not find such a word in my slovak vocabulary.
                                      There are two words in hungarian which are close:
                                      Boho = foolish, naive, preposterous,mad, insane,frolicsome, tarky
                                      Bohoc = clown, fool, buffoon
                                      Vladimir

                                      http://www.eset.sk