Re: [S-R] Re: International Drivers License

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2005
      Here in Slovakia I applied for international drivers licence and was told, it is not being issued any more and got a brand new Euro one, which has a digital photo and a credit card format with all kinds of security gadgets. So maybe this IDL is already obsolete issue.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2005
        i just came back from Poland and it was a requirement by both Hertz and Avis
        to show them the international driver's permit. (not license)
        When i was reserving the car, they made a point of telling me to make sure i
        had a current IDP. and sure enough when i picked up the car at the airport,
        they asked for the IDP first thing. it cost $11, is issued by AAA and is valid
        for one year and it is, unfortunately, required by rental agencies.

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2005
          My experience has been it is far cheaper to arrange the rental car
          before arriving in country.

          So, so far we have the International Drivers Licence required in
          Poland. Incidently, I believe you must have it in hand from your
          native country and cannot buy one overseas.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
          wrote:

          > In 2002 we rented a car in Hungary and drove to Slovakia and back--no
          > International license, just our normal driver's license. The only
          rough part
          > was that we were charged a high rate (for insurance) because we were
          taking
          > the car across the border.
          >
          > It would be good to hear from those who have experience whether it is
          > cheaper to rent a car once you are there or to arrange for its
          rental before
          > you leave. I seem to remember that there was a big difference.
          >
          > Janet

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2005
            I would like to correct the tone of the comment on International
            drivers licence and Poland.

            I should have simply said that laws and practices change with time
            and country, so it is prudent to check on current requirements!

            Thanks
            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "amiak27" <rmat@p...> wrote:

            > My experience has been it is far cheaper to arrange the rental car
            > before arriving in country.
            >
            > So, so far we have the International Drivers Licence required in
            > Poland. Incidently, I believe you must have it in hand from your
            > native country and cannot buy one overseas.
            >
            > Ron
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > In 2002 we rented a car in Hungary and drove to Slovakia and
            back--no
            > > International license, just our normal driver's license. The
            only
            > rough part
            > > was that we were charged a high rate (for insurance) because we
            were
            > taking
            > > the car across the border.
            > >
            > > It would be good to hear from those who have experience whether
            it is
            > > cheaper to rent a car once you are there or to arrange for its
            > rental before
            > > you leave. I seem to remember that there was a big difference.
            > >
            > > Janet

          • Antal Burjan
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 27, 2005
              Hello all,

              Car rental in Hungary: I don't know about International Drivers's Licence requirements, I just know that I assisted several times at foreigners car rentals in Hungary and they never needed to show it. (All of these foreigners were from EU member countries though...)

              If anyone wants to rent a car in Hungary he/she should inquire with smaller, local companies too. Their prices are usually MUCH lower than either the prices of Hertz or of Avis. They USUALLY offer choices from a wide and reliable car fleet, some minor inconvenients may appear (in SOME cases): the car has to be returned to the same place where you picked it up, instead of credit/debit card one might be required to pay in cash leaving quite a large amount as deposit at the time of rental, etc. However most local (=smaller) rental agencies offer the same level level of services as the big ones... at much more affordable prices.

              You can check the following page: it contains several dozens of links to car rental agencies in Hungary. Despite the page is in Hungarian, you can check the links by clicking on them and you reach the homepages of the individual rental agencies from which some offer English assistance too.

              http://autoberles.linkcenter.hu/index.php?nocookie=1

              nhasior@... escribió:
              i just came back from Poland and it was a requirement by both Hertz and Avis
              to show them the international driver's permit. (not license)
              When i was reserving the car, they made a point of telling me to make sure i
              had a current IDP. and sure enough when i picked up the car at the airport,
              they asked for the IDP first thing. it cost $11, is issued by AAA and is valid
              for one year and it is, unfortunately, required by rental agencies.

              ---------------------------------

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
                --- Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...> wrote:

                > It would be good to hear from those who have
                > experience whether it is
                > cheaper to rent a car once you are there or to
                > arrange for its rental before
                > you leave. I seem to remember that there was a big
                > difference.
                >
                >rented a car last summer out of Piestany for 10 days
                - was much less than Bratislava - there are 4 or 5
                companies there that rent cars. Find them on
                Piestany's web site.

                helene

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 28, 2005
                  Several years ago my husband and I needed to rent a car in England. We were
                  in Glastonbury, which is a relatively small town. My husband arranged for
                  the rental and was puzzled when he was not asked for so much as his name,
                  much less a driver's license. When he asked the agent if he didn't want his
                  name, he replied, "No, that's all right." When we returned the car, the
                  rental agreement was marked "Americans, Paid."

                  Janet
                • Janet Kozlay