Re: [S-R] name endings

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2005
      Dear Jennifer,
      Be careful with assumptions.
      I just have a case, where the elder form was Novotnik and the younger form was Novotny. But I have this transition confirmed with uninterrupted line found in the church records by myself.
      In order to positively identify a person, having a name and date of birth is not enough. You need to have either names of parents ot name of the spouse and this must fit.
      Some researchers tend to try to expand their tree or to brake the brick wall by adopting persons with look alike surnames explaining that this was a surname change. If there was any surname change it has to be proven by what I explained above. Assumig a name change is not allowed.
      Without any checking I can say this to your surnames;
      -if you have surnames with ova endings they must be of a younger date so you can follow that person and see, what was the name of her father.
      -Prohar maybe is a Prohar ( check the phone book)
      - Lkadak is most probably Skadak
      - Srabjan? check the phone book and also tell, where you have seen that
      - Golas is probably all right
      - Lvetlikova is Svetlikova
      - Mausur is probably Masur or Mauser or Masar or Mausar ( such speculations are of little use)
      - Nemecek would be Nemeckova ( enter Nemec and see what is there - Nemec is a German and this will not change)
      Best,
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2005
        VLADIMIR,
        THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND WISE KEEP ME ON TRACK ROUT.
        I TRY TO BE CREATIVE IN SEARCHING FOR MY FAMILY BUT SOMETIMES TOO CREATIVE.

        ANOTHER QUESTION?
        I HAVE A BOOK THAT WAS DEAR TO MY GRANDMOTHER NEMECEK.
        I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A COPY IN ENGLISH IF IT IS POSSIBLE?
        ZE SVETA LESNICH SAMOT
        BY KAREL KLOSTERMANN
        I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YEAR BUT THIS IS OLD.
        DO YOU KNOW IF THIS CAN BE FOUND IN ENGLISH?
        THANKS JENNIFER.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2005
          Vladimir, the research I have done suggests to me that one family's name was
          spelled both KOZIK AND KOZLIK (mid-18th century). The KOZLIK spelling is
          seen when the family lived in the north (Turóc megye) and KOZIK after the
          family moved south to Nógrád. I would appreciate your opinion as to whether
          such a variation is possible. The name, under either spelling, appears only
          rarely.

          Janet
        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 25, 2005
            Dear Janet,
            I can not comment this. I would need to have a genealogical proof, that a Kozik used to be Kozlik. The catch is that Kozik comes from a female Goat and Kozlik from a male. Would the bearer care? Don't know.
            Vladimir