Slovak Research Basics

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2005
      > If anyone has any information or possible websites I can
      check . . .

      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
      site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      CURRENT MAP

      ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

      > I am trying to locate any information such as: marriage and death
      > records, number of children things like that for these two persons.

      CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER
      (FHC)
      When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
      is paramount because records are organized by village, Markusovce. It
      is also necessary to know the religion (NOT SPECIFIED). To locate
      church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the
      LDS web site: www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers 1697-1919 of baptisms,
      marriages, deaths and confirmations for Markusovce, Slovakia; formerly
      Markusfalva, Szepes, Hungary. Includes the affiliated towns of
      Cepanovce, Lieskovany, Teplicka, Rudnany.

      go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
      will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
      details.

      1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
      The old Hungarian map can be found at:
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

      Find Iglo in green area at left of map. Look southeast two villages
      for Markusfalva.

      CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
      a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
      likely find in church records.

      Happy squinting.