Re: [S-R] NAME ENDING

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2005
      In short, surnames that are nouns add -ova to the male form to get the
      female form:
      Mr. Koval, Mrs. Kovalova (koval = a smith)

      Surnames that are adjectives end in -y for men, -a for women:
      Mr. Pekny, Mrs. Pekna (pekny = beautiful)

      Pokornik is a noun, so the woman would be Mrs. Pokornikova.
      But Pokorny is an adjective, so the woman would be Mrs. Pokorna.

      Joe