RE: [S-R] Re: Help with town CASNOWITZ

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2005
      Don't forget to try
      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      -----Original Message-----
      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Janet Kozlay
      Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:49 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Help with town

      I have done some searching for you. I didn't have any difficulty bringing up
      the registration card, and the writing is really quite clear. Unfortunately,
      I haven't found any place in the entire world that is or was named
      Casnowitz.

      I think Zemplen would definitely fit if he spoke Ruthenian (note that it is
      not Rutherian).

      Looking at other Sabols (I couldn't find George) that came through Ellis
      Island, I found the following villages of origin that began with either C or
      K:
      Csemerno/Cemerne (Vranov nad Toplou or Farsky urad Puste Cemerne SK)
      Kaszakanow
      Kracinowce (Farsky urad Kracunovce SK)
      Karlovac (probably Croatia)
      Kasarovce (Yugoslavia)
      Kaczarvagas
      Klecenov (Kosicky Klecenov SK or else Poland)
      Koprivinica (Croatia)
      Koskovce (probably Koskowice Poland)

      Some of these may be variant spellings of the same village name.

      Looking at a list of villages in Zemplen in the 1828 Hungarian census, I
      found the following:
      Krasznocz
      Krasznibrod
      Krizslyocz

      None of these village names look much like Casnowitz, but Klecenov was in
      Zemplen. I haven't been able to locate the others.

      The village seeker at www.jewishgen.org lists two possibilities, Kusinovtse
      (Ukraine) and Kochanovce (several villages by this name in Slovakia). The
      "witz" ending seems to be Polish, and I believe there are Sabols who say
      they are Polish.

      None of this really answers your question, but I hope it may give you and
      others some leads.

      Janet

      Yahoo! Groups Links