Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: LOUCKA and BECKA

  • JK
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10 8:35 AM
      Sheri: You mention some of your ancestors married here. A very easy way to
      find where they came from is to contact the religious institution they
      married in (if still in existance, Cleveland should be pretty good as many
      churches still operate there unlike Pennslyvania where many have closed,
      merged or just ceased to exist) and ask the priest/minister to check his old
      ledger records, ledgers for churches in America denoted which town, country
      and even county if ethnic church the couple would have originated from. If
      this fails, contact the local registrar of the city or town they married in,
      with luck, the record at the local city hall will note the town name for
      you. You can also check for a death date, church ledger records also tended
      to denote the town of origins if the deceased was born outside of the United
      States. If this fails, Cleveland is a big place, check your local library,
      many times, libraries in big cities such as mine here have microfilmed
      copies of newspapers and periodicals, you can search for a death obit which
      may produce results for the years you seek and, this is a free service via
      the public libraries. Outside of this, you can also try to find if your
      ancestors were naturalized, if so, the paperwork will also give you the name
      of the town or city of origins but, this request can take a few months to
      get as the government is slow in responding but, you will get a response if
      they were or were not naturalized and if so, you will receive copies sooner
      or later.

      Hope this is of some assistance to you.

      Best Regards,
      Joy K