NAME ENDING

  • bemimitwo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2005
      Can anyone explain how ending of name is done?
      I know that [ova ] is female name added to show family of, but what is
      The rule to add ova?
      example...pokornik...pokornova ? also I was told that adding y also says the
      same thing.
      pokorny? Then I was also told sometimes.. a.. added... porkorna ?
      what letters are dropped to ad ova? and is there a hint to nationality using
      [a ] verses[ ova ]or [y?]
      Just trying to figure out actual spelling of many sur names.
      thanks
      JENNIFER

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2005
        In short, surnames that are nouns add -ova to the male form to get the
        female form:
        Mr. Koval, Mrs. Kovalova (koval = a smith)

        Surnames that are adjectives end in -y for men, -a for women:
        Mr. Pekny, Mrs. Pekna (pekny = beautiful)

        Pokornik is a noun, so the woman would be Mrs. Pokornikova.
        But Pokorny is an adjective, so the woman would be Mrs. Pokorna.

        Joe