Re: [S-R] in response to question about letter from cousin re: land

  • Laco R (Slovak Roots)
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2005
      1. foreigners cannot buy farmland (land "outside" a
      village).

      2. foreigners can inherit any kind of possesion - also land.

      3. claim for possesion, which was confiscated in the period
      February 25th, 1948 - November 17th, 1989 (so called
      "restitution") was allowed only for
      a) citizen of Slovak Republic and
      b) they have have to live in Slovakia (I am not 100%
      sure the law has changed more times)

      Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between 2. and 3. For
      example most of collectivisation (druzstvo) was not a
      confiscation and formaly the ownership didnt change.

      laco

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
        Thank you, Laco, for your response. So my cousin is then mistaken in
        that foreigners cannot own farmland...you are saying they cannot BUY
        it, but they can INHERIT it. Gosh, this now gets more complicated,
        doesn't it? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed? If
        so, please reply to the group - surely I'm not the only one who is
        looking into this same issue.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Laco R \(Slovak Roots\)"

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2005
          Check the group archives. There has been much written about it in the
          last year, here.
          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich