RE: [S-R] Thou shalt not....

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 19, 2005
      I have seen plenty of records of illegitimate children, in many villages.
      The way they are recorded is not uniform. Sometimes it is indicated in the
      column with the child's name, sometimes the father is listed as unknown or
      the column left blank, sometimes in the marriage records a wife is listed as
      "deflorata," which always amuses and saddens me. For all eternity her "sin"
      is there for everyone to see.

      We tend to romanticize the past and think our ancestors were "pure." They
      were just as human as people are today, and there was plenty of pre- and
      extramarital sex going on.

      You might find the following little poem interesting--written in the
      mid-1800s and translated from Hungarian:

      Uncle Pista, listen!
      Juliska is not home.
      She was waiting for you,
      She is gone, she left this: