Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: LOUCKA and BECKA

  • Deb Blabolil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 1999
      Sherri,

      I also live in a suburb of Cleveland and the best place to get all these
      records that Maura suggested is at the Western Reserve Historical Society
      by Case Western Reserve University- I work at the University so for me it
      is free but the library for you would be like 5.00 I think and I think it
      is good for a month- the admission fee to the library pays for new material
      and they are getting online now too. They have necrology y files, ship
      records, marriage certificates back to early 1900's like 1902, census for
      1910, 1920 and earlier for Ohio and other states. The next option is what
      Maura suggested and that is LDS-FHC center- the closest one to me in Parma
      is the one on Westwood in Westlake, they are open on Saturday from 10-2 and
      Tues and Wednesday from 10-2 and I think 6-9 or that maybe Thursday- you
      would have to call.

      Also try the Fairview Public Library Genealogy section- I got lots of stuff
      there too.

      Deb

      At 12:22 AM 7/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >From: "Sherri L Bovard" <SHERB99@...>
      >
      >Hi there!
      >I am new to the list and was hoping for some direction. I am in the
      >Cleveland, Ohio area.
      >I know that my great, great grandfather Frank LOUCKA (a blacksmith)came here
      >from Czechoslovakia before my grandmother Anna LOUCKA, who came over in 1905
      >(from Bohemia) with her two eldest daughters: Sophie (who married Frank
      >BECKA) and Stella (who married Charles Florian). Once here they had five
      >more children: Edward, Anna, Helen, Rosie and Frank.
      >Sophie and Frank Becka were married here about 1917 (around the Cleveland,
      >Ohio area). They had five children: Joseph, Marie, Frank, Charles and
      >Angela.
      >My aunt Stella Katerina Loucka Florian is on the Wall of Honor, so I know
      >they came over from Bohemia, but that is all I know for sure.
      >Please...HELP!
      >Thank you all!
      >Sherri

      >Get involved. Share your thoughts!
      >http://www.onelist.com
      >Join the ONElist Weekly Survey. Go to homepage for details.

    • JK
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 1999
        Sheri: You mention some of your ancestors married here. A very easy way to
        find where they came from is to contact the religious institution they
        married in (if still in existance, Cleveland should be pretty good as many
        churches still operate there unlike Pennslyvania where many have closed,
        merged or just ceased to exist) and ask the priest/minister to check his old
        ledger records, ledgers for churches in America denoted which town, country
        and even county if ethnic church the couple would have originated from. If
        this fails, contact the local registrar of the city or town they married in,
        with luck, the record at the local city hall will note the town name for
        you. You can also check for a death date, church ledger records also tended
        to denote the town of origins if the deceased was born outside of the United
        States. If this fails, Cleveland is a big place, check your local library,
        many times, libraries in big cities such as mine here have microfilmed
        copies of newspapers and periodicals, you can search for a death obit which
        may produce results for the years you seek and, this is a free service via
        the public libraries. Outside of this, you can also try to find if your
        ancestors were naturalized, if so, the paperwork will also give you the name
        of the town or city of origins but, this request can take a few months to
        get as the government is slow in responding but, you will get a response if
        they were or were not naturalized and if so, you will receive copies sooner
        or later.

        Hope this is of some assistance to you.

        Best Regards,
        Joy K