Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] "JUG"

  • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2000
      Hi Mona - I believe in Hungarian "gy" is pronounced like an English "j".

      Joe Armata
      joe@...

      >This is another name I am interested in finding out the origin. As
      >with the name "Gyuk" I posted earlier...it is the same reason behind
      >it. "Supposedly" my mothers maiden name was "Gyuk" but when she came
      >to Canada she used the name "Jug". I am so curious to get the facts.
      >Was it due to a translation problem? I don't know...I'm just
      >grabbing
      >at straws right now. Hoping someone can give me a lead.
      >
      >Thanks again!
      >Mona :)

    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2000
        In Hungarian:

        The letter j is pron. like y in the English word yes.

        The letter ly is pron. like y in the English word yes.
        Traditionally used in some words instead of letter j.

        The letter gy is pron. like di in the English word medium
        (said quickly)