Re: [S-R] questions about names

  • rabbit
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005
      John,

      I keep forgetting that the mindset of this forum seems to be one of
      immigrants and priests.

      My mindset comes from ancestors that were immigrants some 300 years ago and
      looking at documents of varying sorts covering that period of time in this
      country. I suppose it is also tainted from dealing with government workers
      and the mutilations given to my straightforward surname. :-) In fact my
      surname origins do not go back to the "old country" and its development over
      the years is a story (albeit short) in itself.

      Jim Crownover-
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005
        Jim, you are making the assumption that the situation was different here
        regarding spelling. It was not. Standardization of spelling is a recent
        phenomenon, even with surnames. A great many people in this country whose
        ancestors immigrated "some 300 years ago" have seen the spelling of their
        surname evolve. Only with the advent of the dictionary was spelling
        standardized at all--it was just not considered that important. The first
        comprehensive dictionary in English was not printed until the mid-18th
        century, and today we would consider many of those spellings quaint. All
        spoken languages evolve, and with it evolve spellings. Your name may seem
        quite "straightforward" to you, but it may have even been pronounced
        differently 300 years ago.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2005
          Janet,

          Wrong guess on my assumption.

          My name was "originally" Van Kouwenhoven. Before that there was no surname
          in the Netherlands, so perhaps you may have misunderstood me. I will not go
          into the changes that took place over the years. I meant that the name is
          straightforward today - not back in the 1600's when it originated. I have
          been paged as Cranoyer among other things. That is simply not reading what
          is there without regard to pronunciation, but reading ones own experience
          into it. By that, I mean that the person making the page perhaps knew a
          Cranoyer at some point.

          A several times GGrandmother, whose name was Stinnett, was listed on a son's
          death record as Stent. Again I believe that to be the recorder's experience
          (mindset) or ear rather than the informant's ability to read or write. There
          were few Stents at that time according to census records. I do agree that it
          wasn't important enough to call an "official" on it.

          But we digress from the Slovak world ... That's where I need to adapt my
          mindset.

          Jim Crownover-