"JUG"

  • Mona
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2000
      This is another name I am interested in finding out the origin. As
      with the name "Gyuk" I posted earlier...it is the same reason behind
      it. "Supposedly" my mothers maiden name was "Gyuk" but when she came
      to Canada she used the name "Jug". I am so curious to get the facts.
      Was it due to a translation problem? I don't know...I'm just
      grabbing
      at straws right now. Hoping someone can give me a lead.

      Thanks again!
      Mona :)
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Mona " <slatter3000@h...> wrote:
        > This is another name I am interested in finding out the origin. As
        > with the name "Gyuk" I posted earlier...it is the same reason
        behind
        > it. "Supposedly" my mothers maiden name was "Gyuk" but when she
        came
        > to Canada she used the name "Jug". I am so curious to get the
        facts.
        > Was it due to a translation problem? I don't know...I'm just
        > grabbing
        > at straws right now. Hoping someone can give me a lead.
        >
        > Thanks again!
        > Mona :)

        I'd suggest two possibilities for the surname Gyuk/Jug.

        My Slovakia census (no locations or data) just a summary of 50,000
        surnames, lists only 50 surname that begin Gy (no Gyuk)

        In Hungarian, the letter gy is pron. d.

        In Canada telephone White Pages , see 5 surname Gyuk are listed.
        Sandor (Alexander) is a Hungarian male first name.

        Feminine first name Lubyca (Ljubica) looks South Slavic (i.e.
        former Yugoslavia)

        In most Slavic languages (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Croatian etc., plus
        Hungarian, the letter j is pron. y.

        Most common example is Jugoslavija = Yugoslavia.

        Are you sure the name is of Slovak ethnicity ?
        Possibly its ethnicity is Slovene ?

        Slovenia was once a part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans.
        Slovakia was once a part of former Czechoslovakia in Central Europe.

        If you write to Slovenia and don't use Slovenija, the letter
        probably gets mailed to Slovakia.
        If you use Slovensko for Slovakia the letter probably ends up
        in Slovenia ? Our U.S. Postal Service doesn't seem to know
        the difference either.

        How are you ? English

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

        Ako sa m�s^ ? Slovak

        Jak se m�te ? Czech

        Jak sie pan miewa ? Polish

        Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene
      • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 16, 2000
          Hi Mona - I believe in Hungarian "gy" is pronounced like an English "j".

          Joe Armata
          joe@...

          >This is another name I am interested in finding out the origin. As
          >with the name "Gyuk" I posted earlier...it is the same reason behind
          >it. "Supposedly" my mothers maiden name was "Gyuk" but when she came
          >to Canada she used the name "Jug". I am so curious to get the facts.
          >Was it due to a translation problem? I don't know...I'm just
          >grabbing
          >at straws right now. Hoping someone can give me a lead.
          >
          >Thanks again!
          >Mona :)

        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2000
            In Hungarian:

            The letter j is pron. like y in the English word yes.

            The letter ly is pron. like y in the English word yes.
            Traditionally used in some words instead of letter j.

            The letter gy is pron. like di in the English word medium
            (said quickly)