YUHAS/JUHASZ

  • Richard & Julianna Zarzycki
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
      Thanks to all on the group who told me about someone in their family or
      area with the name YUHAS.
      I did know that it was the 14th most poplar name . I live in
      Northeastern Pa. and in my hometown I have traced the name, but as you
      said no connections. I did know about the spelling of JUHASZ as I found
      some of this spelling in older records as well. My YUHASs settled in
      STREATOR, Illinois and their are a few other families with the same name
      that claim they are not related to my grandma. All I know is that a
      Mary and sister Anna came to Streator and Mary, my grandmother married
      my grandfather John Sopko in Streator and they then brought her parents
      Stephen and Anna GERMALA/GIRMALA (still not sure of this spelling) to
      Streator . The Yuhas' came from Czechoslovakia. My Stephen and Anna got
      married in Czechoslovakia on Dec. 23, 1864. Thanks to all for your
      info. Julianna Sopko Zarzycki
    • mavrik375
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
        Hi Julianna,

        I believe we have corresponded before on the Yuhas/Juhas/Juhasz name
        a couple years ago, when we noticed that there appears to be 2
        different Yuhas lines that went to Streator, Illinois by 1900. Yuhas
        is the Americanized spelling of Juhasz (Hungarian) and Juhas
        (Slovak). In the late 1700s and early 1800s, the church records I'm
        looking at seems to indicate a spelling of "Juchas" or "Juchasz", but
        that could just be how the cursive writing in the church records
        appears. It's quite a task just to be able to read the handwriting,
        often. My Yuhas ancestor Andrej (Andrew) Juhas that immigrated to
        America was born in 1860, and I have a copy of his baptismal record.
        I have only been able to go back 3 generations thus far and, if I'm
        lucky, I might be able to back into a 4th generation (going by
        recorded years of death), all appearing to have been in Radoma.
        Though I think I need to scour neighboring village church records yet
        to track down a marriage or two. The Radoma church records end in
        1755, and I don't know if there are any earlier church records
        (Catholic) for the Radoma/Kerchknit/O'Kruhle/Mestiskzo region) which
        might cover Radoma prior to 1755. There doesn't appear to be, so far.

        I may have located my Andrej/Andreas Juhas in the Castle Garden
        immigration records online. There are two records, one in 1882 and
        one in 1883 that seem to fit, going by the theory that Andrej left in
        order to avoid being conscripted into the Austrian-Hungarian army at
        the age of 21. However, the ages on the two Castle Garden records do
        not match my ancestor's actual age. One record shows "26" and the
        other "33". Not having the 1890 U.S. Federal census records (lost in
        fire) is a hindrance.

        I had originally thought "Radoma" and "Giraltovce" were names for the
        same village. When I received the 1869 census for "Giraltovce", I
        realized I was in error. Still waiting for the Radoma census record
        to show up at my local FHC though.... In the online database, the
        Arcunum records I think, there doesn't appear to be
        any "Juhas/Juhasz" land owners in the 1715 database for Radoma. I've
        been thinking of transcribing the 1869 census for Radoma when I
        finally get it, only about 300 names by rough estimate.

        I'm still working through the Radoma church records to "fill in the
        blanks" and to try to extend the wives families, if possible, which
        has been pretty difficult thus far. Anyway, it doesn't appear that
        my Yuhas/Juhas ancestors have any nobility, at this time.

        Searching YUHAS/JUHAS (Csikjoska - CHIKOV, Benesak/Benaszak?)
        KOLESAR (ADAMCHAK) - in Tulcik, Kracunovce or other village
        (s) in Saros region.

        Mavrik

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Richard & Julianna Zarzycki

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
          Check to see if there was a state census in the years intervening the
          federal census. In New York, state census were conducted on the 5's - 1905,
          1915, 1925, etc.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          <julianna@e...> wrote:

          > Thanks to all on the group who told me about someone in their
          family or
          > area with the name YUHAS.
          > I did know that it was the 14th most poplar name . I live in
          > Northeastern Pa. and in my hometown I have traced the name, but as
          you
          > said no connections. I did know about the spelling of JUHASZ as I
          found
          > some of this spelling in older records as well. My YUHASs settled
          in
          > STREATOR, Illinois and their are a few other families with the same
          name
          > that claim they are not related to my grandma. All I know is that
          > Mary and sister Anna came to Streator and Mary, my grandmother
          married
          > my grandfather John Sopko in Streator and they then brought her
          parents
          > Stephen and Anna GERMALA/GIRMALA (still not sure of this spelling)
          > Streator . The Yuhas' came from Czechoslovakia. My Stephen and
          Anna got
          > married in Czechoslovakia on Dec. 23, 1864. Thanks to all for your
          > info. Julianna Sopko Zarzycki

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
            Both GERMALA/GIRMALA appear in Slovak phone listings.

            Do you have a village name or area? What religion?