Hanyak/Hanjak/Hanak from Strocin

  • John Hanyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2005
      In looking at Ellis Island records I have seen my
      grandfather's name as HANYAK while his brother's name
      is listed as GEORGE HANAK in one place and GEORGE
      HANJAK in another. Can any one help me in
      detertmining the proper surname spelling?

      I have noticed that my Maternal grandparent's name has
      several spelling as well. Is this due to
      Americanaztion or misunderstandings by the record
      writer?

      Since I'm new at this, I find it interesting to see
      the differences, but unable to discover why.

      Thank you for any help.

      http://mail.yahoo.com