Looking for Michael Gulash and Descendants

  • Joe Magyar
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
      I am attempting to find any information i can about my great
      grandfather Michael Gulash and his family. Here are the only clues I
      have to go on.

      Michael Gulash (Michal Gulas^) was born in Klemberk (present day
      Klenov, Saros district, Slovak Republic), Austria-Hungary on January
      6, 1866 and emmigrated to this country around 1903 from Barca near
      Kosice. Michael married Elizabeth Benetski/Benetskie in the "old
      country" circa 1887 and they had the following children:
      1 Michael Gulash 1866 - 1931
      .. +Elizabeth Benetski 1868 -
      ...... 2 John J. Gulash, Sr. 1889 - 1960
      .......... +Mary Blasko 1894 - 1980 *
      ...... 2 Joseph Gulash 1894 -
      .......... +Kejdy "Katherine" Yavorska 1898 - **
      ...... 2 Anna Gulash 1898 - 1977
      .......... + Michael Rusnak 1890 - 1918
      ...... *2nd Husband of Anna Gulash:
      .......... + Louis Magyar 1888 - 1938
      ...... 2 Paul Gulash 1901 - 1987 (born in Dobzna?, Hungary)
      .......... +Anna Belusko 1909 -
      ...... 2 Helen Gulash 1903 - (first child born in America)
      .......... +Pete Forneris 1897 -
      ...... 2 Mary Gulash 1909 -
      .......... +Bernard Blua 1904 -

      All the children were born in the "old country" except Helen and
      Mary. Anna was my loving grandmother. She, and all her siblings,
      spoke "Slavish" and I'm pretty sure they were Carpatho-Rusyn although
      they were Roman Catholic in this country.

      * Andrew Blasko was born August 27, 1865 in Kassa (Kosice), Austria-
      Hungary. He married Mary Bogus who was born April 04, 1871 in Mis^la,
      Austria-Hungary. These are my Aunt Mary Blasko Gulash's parents.
      Andrew immigrated much earlier, 1885, but there may have been a
      family connection to the Gulash's in the "old country".

      ** Kejdy "Katherine" Yavorska immigrated to this country ca. 1913 and
      married Joe Gulash. No evidence of a connection back there.

      My grandfather was Michael Rusnak and all I know about him is that he
      came to America, I'm guessing, around 1902, married Anna Gulash about
      Nov. 1, 1913 and he died in the world wide flu epidemic of 1918 in
      Cresson, PA. He is almost sure to be Rusyn and I would love to find
      anything at all about him.

      It's not much to go on but any if any of this looks at all familiar
      please contact me at ------- jmagyar2@...

      Thanks,

      Skip Magyar
      Shadyside, Ohio