RE: [S-R] Ovcharovich - sheep and wolves

  • Antal Burjan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hello,

      Just an idea with the locations you mentioned. Since you wrote about "Temes vármegye" [Rom: judetul Timis] (Temes county) and "Illia" in Hont, not very far from "Temes vármegye" in "Hunyad vármegye" [Rom: judetul Hunedoara] (Hunyad county) you can find a town called "Marosillye" [Rom: ilia] upstream on the Maros [Rom: Mures] river. You may want to check this possibility too, since it's quite a big confusion about those members of a family who suddenly decide to move from one end of Hungary to the other. (Supposedly my ancestors arrived to the easternmost regions of Transsylvania just the same way from the westernmost parts of the Upper Lands. I'm still looking for some data to confirm this relocation.)

      Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...> escribió:
      Aha! There you have an answer for Vladimir. I agree it seems pretty funny
      that a “sheep“ can change into a “wolf."

      I'll be back in touch with the information about Demeter.

      Janet

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
        I think people and families moved around much more than we tend to think
        they did. There were periods of migration, such as whole communities moving
        north to escape the invading Turks, and then many moving back south when the
        Turks were expelled. Germans were also encouraged to move east and settle in
        the fertile and mostly empty Hungarian lands when the Turks left. Then, too,
        there were military men who might fight far from home and who set up their
        own families where they were serving. You can think of many other reasons,
        as well, why someone might pick up and move, such as periods of bad weather
        and crop failures, or promises of good living elsewhere. You will find some
        families who can trace their origins back many generations in a single
        location, but you will also find that some moved and can be found almost
        anywhere.

        Janet

[...]

        American family home insurance American family home insurance company
        American family home owner insurance Multi family home for sale Single
        family home for sale Family home finance

        Yahoo! Groups Links