RE: [S-R] Hungarian and Slovak Nobility

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 2, 2005
      There is some information--not a lot. The first name is associated with
      Temes megye. The spelling Ovcharovics is listed as an alias of Farkas. There
      is more under the Olcsarovics spelling, all related to Demeter Olcsarovics
      in the 16th century.

      I found the spelling Illia associated only with the Slovak village by that
      name in Hont megye. Illya, however, is listed as a noble name. Siebmacher's
      Wappenbuch illustrates the coat of arms conferred on Stefan Illya de
      Magyargáld in 1649. Magyargáld is also known as Alsógáld, in present-day
      Romania.

      I don't see any further information on these families, unless there are
      alternative spellings I haven't tried. I will send you the Illya coat of
      arms privately. Let me know if you want the Hungarian text on Demeter
      Olcsarovics.

      Janet
    • James McGrath
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 16, 2006
        It has her listed as Ilona/Julia, presumably because
        of the tendency to give the Hungarian form of names.
        It is unfortunate that this print-off of the parish
        register is so difficult to read. The original was bad
        enough, but this print-off is slightly worse.

        James

        http://mail.yahoo.com