1927 immigration records

  • rabbit
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Susanna Kochan arrived in this country in 1927 from the vicinity of Jelsava.
      The Ellis Island records do not cover that "late" date of arrival. Are there
      any suggestions for finding her records?

      Jim Crownover-
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
        If you are a direct descendant and can prove it on paper, you can write to
        the BCIS/INS and request a copy of her immigration files. This has to be
        done in writing due to privacy legislation.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

        Good Luck!

        Bill Tarkulich

        > Susanna Kochan arrived in this country in 1927 from the vicinity of
        > Jelsava.
        > The Ellis Island records do not cover that "late" date of arrival. Are
        > there
        > any suggestions for finding her records?
        >
        > Jim Crownover-

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • rabbit
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
          Thanx for the information, Bill.

          The problem with "proving on paper" the relationship to Susanna Kochan is
          that she died 6-7 years after arrival and was in her early 70's at the time.
          Her husband presumably died before she immigrated. Her daughter died in the
          Spanish Flu epidemic before Susanna arrived. Both
          of her sons are deceased as are their offspring. Her children immigrated
          between 1906 and 1910 throught Ellis Island. It seems that there is the
          "catch 22" of needing birth and family
          records in order to locate birth and family records.

          Jim Crownover-
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
            Jim,
            I cannot tell from your description who your direct ancestors are. You
            listed many people. What year did she die? I believe that if she died
            that long ago you may have an "out". Regardless, if you can show on a
            piece of paper how you are related, with names, DOB, DOD, direct lineage,
            that is all they will care about. They won't be interested in ancillary
            relatives (uncles, brothers, etc.) only the straight-line path. Any
            copies of birth or death records (church is acceptable) will work. They
            do have some latitude.

            Always be sure to indicate the information is for genealogy use only (as
            opposed to some legal proceeding.) That loosens things up a bit.

            It's a long wait to get a response, so get a letter off with what you
            have and see how they reply. You will get an immediate response logging
            the request, then the long wait for the final envelope.

            Bill

            > Thanx for the information, Bill.
            >
            > The problem with "proving on paper" the relationship to Susanna Kochan is
            > that she died 6-7 years after arrival and was in her early 70's at the
            > time.
            > Her husband presumably died before she immigrated. Her daughter died in
            > the
            > Spanish Flu epidemic before Susanna arrived. Both
            > of her sons are deceased as are their offspring. Her children immigrated
            > between 1906 and 1910 throught Ellis Island. It seems that there is the
            > "catch 22" of needing birth and family
            > records in order to locate birth and family records.
            >
            > Jim Crownover-

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • rabbit
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
              Thanx, Bill.

              I mentioned the ancillary information only to indicate the coldness of a
              paper trail. The lineage is Susanna Kochan (possibly nee Hricz) to daughter
              Susanna Kochan Hargas to grandson John - all deceased.

              Jim Crownover-
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
                Have courage and be encouraged. I started with less information then you
                have.
                Bill