Proposal for List RE: [S-R] Partial village name search

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2005
      Bill,

      How many SR subscribers have the text??: Na'zvy Obci' Slovanskej Republiky
      (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) veda Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied,
      Bratislava 1998.

      If we divide up the list and if we each take a certain number of pages we
      could create our own digital list. If there are a dozen folks with the text
      we could do about 20 pages each. That is about 1,860 entries each. We
      could knock that out in a weekend.

      I'd be willing to start if others are interested in working on this project.
      As Bill has acknowledged, it would be a great tool for everyone to use.

      I would recommend that we also include the paragraph referenced with each
      entry so that we could not only search the list but also refer back to the
      body of the text for alternate spellings and alternate names used over time.

      Any takers out there??? Perhaps Bill could establish the format so that we
      all worked with the same purpose and the individual lists could be combined
      without much editing.

      I'll participate.

      Frank R. Plichta
      Galax, Virginia
      "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

        I know, Frank (I have the book). That's the problem. I want a digitzed
        list so I can let the computer do the walking instead of my fingers.
        Pawing through 300 pages everytime someone asks about a misspelled village
        name just doesn't work for me any more. It's taking a toll on my eyes.
        Besides, being in the computer biz, I know full well, this is a much
        easier job for a computer!
        Thanks for the thought.
        bill

        > Bill,
        >
        > There is such a list in analogue form in Na'zvy Obci' Slovanskej Republiky
        > (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) veda Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied,
        > Bratislava 1998.
        >
        > The list is 243 pages single spaced with approximately 22,356 entries.
        >
        > Frank R. Plichta
        > Galax, Virginia

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2005
          Sure, I'll help out -- I type about 107-108 -- so I
          could probably burn thru more than my share fairly
          quickly.

          Caye

          --- "Frank R. Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...>

          === message truncated ===