Re: New mysteries (and old answers)

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 3:01 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
      > It's been too quiet around here, so it's time for me to cause some
      new
      > trouble. I KNOW, but keep forgetting, that there is a gazette or
      something
      > that tells where the records are for different towns and villages in
      > Slovakia. Someday I will find it.
      >
      > Meanwhile, I have a different kind of problem. I am going to start
      > researching my KLINKA and RACHEL family from Liptovska Porubka. A
      new hint
      > just came to light suggesting that of several Porubkas, this is the
      right
      > place. An old family photo from the 20's from Slovakia turns out
      have
      > been printed on some kind of blank postcard. Evidently it was
      designed to
      > send to family members around the area. Ours was sent as an
      enclosure in
      > regular mail to America. Anyway, the back had a stamp with part of
      the
      > letters missing. What was readable included the letters "ULAS".
      >
      > Elementary, Watson -- I figured it must be the stamp from Liptovsky
      Mikulas,
      > the large town near Liptovska Porubka. So check those old family
      photos
      > from Czechoslovakia in case yours proves to be a postcard.
      >
      > I found that baptismal records for Lutherans in L. Porubka,
      1859-1896, are
      > available from the FHL, but that's all so far. How can I find out
      where the
      > rest of the records are? Does anyone know if the LDS have finished
      > photocopying in Slovakia yet? I am trying to determine if there
      are
      more
      > records from the town itself, or rather if they were kept in some
      nearby
      > town, in which case I need to run down that gazette or whatever it
      is.

      > Thanks, Andrea

      Liptosk� Por�ba (Sv) Kisporuba (H) ["little" poruba) is located
      135 miles ENE of Bratislava.
      Think the Slovak State regional archives at Bytc^a (near Z^ilina)
      has jurisdiction.
      The LDS had finished filming half of the records at Bytc^a (or had
      begun
      just on the second half ?)
      When completed ? , only the large archives located at Bratislava will
      remain to be filmed by the LDS.

      R.C. parish church registers for Liptosk� Por�ba are included
      with
      Liptovsky' Hr�dok (1803-1897)
      Lutheran parish church registers for Liptosk� Por�ba are
      included
      with Liptosky' J�n (1783-1921)
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 3:02 AM