Partial village name search

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
      Partial village name search

      I am looking for an online tool that allows you to search for a contemporary
      village in Slovakia based on a fragment of the village name. I could have
      sworn I'd found a facility for doing it, but I'm at a loss right now.

      Thanks,!

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
        Bill, Jewish Gen Shtetl Seeker does a pretty good job
        of that -- goes by sounds-like -- even if you misspell
        the word (or don't complete the ending).

        Now if you only have the first few letters, I'm
        guessing the hits will probably be intimidating -- but
        still worth a shot.

        Caye

        > Partial village name search
        >

        > I am looking for an online tool that allows you to
        > search for a contemporary
        > village in Slovakia based on a fragment of the
        > village name. I could have
        > sworn I'd found a facility for doing it, but I'm at
        > a loss right now.
        >
        > Thanks,!

        > removed]

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
          Thanks for the thought.

          Shtetlseeker doesn't do what I want. For example, I want all villages
          with the ending "linca". Daitch-Motkoff doesn't work.

          If I could get a raw list of all 2,500 village names in Slovakia, I could
          pop it into a word processor and search on a text string. That would
          work.

          Bill

          > Bill, Jewish Gen Shtetl Seeker does a pretty good job
          > of that -- goes by sounds-like -- even if you misspell
          > the word (or don't complete the ending).
          >
          > Now if you only have the first few letters, I'm
          > guessing the hits will probably be intimidating -- but
          > still worth a shot.
          >

          > Caye
          >

          > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Partial village name search
          >>

          >> I am looking for an online tool that allows you to
          >> search for a contemporary
          >> village in Slovakia based on a fragment of the
          >> village name. I could have
          >> sworn I'd found a facility for doing it, but I'm at
          >> a loss right now.
          >>
          >> Thanks,!

          >> removed]

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
            Now, that is a fabulous idea -- and completely would
            work -- wonder if Helene Cincebeaux has something with
            most of those 2,500?

            Even if you had a majority -- you could add the
            stragglers as you discovered them.

            Good luck, and thanks for all you do, you really
            inspire the rest of us.

            Caye

            > Thanks for the thought.
            >
            > Shtetlseeker doesn't do what I want. For example, I
            > want all villages
            > with the ending "linca". Daitch-Motkoff doesn't
            > work.
            >
            > If I could get a raw list of all 2,500 village names
            > in Slovakia, I could
            > pop it into a word processor and search on a text
            > string. That would
            > work.
            >
            > Bill
            >

            > > Bill, Jewish Gen Shtetl Seeker does a pretty good
            > job
            > > of that -- goes by sounds-like -- even if you
            > misspell
            > > the word (or don't complete the ending).
            > >
            > > Now if you only have the first few letters, I'm
            > > guessing the hits will probably be intimidating --
            > but
            > > still worth a shot.
            > >

            > > Caye
            > >

            > > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > >> Partial village name search
            > >>

            > >> I am looking for an online tool that allows you
            > >> search for a contemporary
            > >> village in Slovakia based on a fragment of the
            > >> village name. I could have
            > >> sworn I'd found a facility for doing it, but I'm
            > at
            > >> a loss right now.
            > >>
            > >> Thanks,!

            > >> removed]

            > -or- send blank email to
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Frank R. Plichta
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
              Bill,

              There is such a list in analogue form in Na'zvy Obci' Slovanskej Republiky
              (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) veda Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied,
              Bratislava 1998.

              The list is 243 pages single spaced with approximately 22,356 entries.

              Frank R. Plichta
              Galax, Virginia

              Shtetlseeker doesn't do what I want. For example, I want all villages
              with the ending "linca". Daitch-Motkoff doesn't work.

              If I could get a raw list of all 2,500 village names in Slovakia, I could
              pop it into a word processor and search on a text string. That would
              work.

              Bill

              > Bill, Jewish Gen Shtetl Seeker does a pretty good job
              > of that -- goes by sounds-like -- even if you misspell
              > the word (or don't complete the ending).
              >
              > Now if you only have the first few letters, I'm
              > guessing the hits will probably be intimidating -- but
              > still worth a shot.
              >

              > Caye
              >

              > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Partial village name search
              >>

              >> I am looking for an online tool that allows you to
              >> search for a contemporary
              >> village in Slovakia based on a fragment of the
              >> village name. I could have
              >> sworn I'd found a facility for doing it, but I'm at
              >> a loss right now.
              >>
              >> Thanks,!

              >> removed]

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                I know, Frank (I have the book). That's the problem. I want a digitzed
                list so I can let the computer do the walking instead of my fingers.
                Pawing through 300 pages everytime someone asks about a misspelled village
                name just doesn't work for me any more. It's taking a toll on my eyes.
                Besides, being in the computer biz, I know full well, this is a much
                easier job for a computer!
                Thanks for the thought.
                bill

              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                  Many villages in Slovakia date back to 12 century and the index for
                  those villages with all the names though their time is in Vlastivedny
                  Slovnik obci na Slovensku-History and Geography dictionary of all
                  villages in Slovakia a three volume hard cover book in Slovak that
                  also has all the history of every village.

                  Take look at: http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/vlastslovnik.htm

                  Vladi

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                    Bill, if you mail me that book/list (or get it to
                    Pittsburgh for Slovak Heritage Fest) I'll scan it into
                    Word for you -- might not be able to proofread 100%
                    all of them -- but I'll do my best if that is any
                    help.

                    I've got scanning software/Optical Character
                    Recognition software here at the office we use for
                    text (.pdf-to-.doc/Adobe-to-Word).

                    I'd put it into a Word Table -- which is sortable --
                    so probably want columns for County/Village-or-Town
                    Name -- you could also add area code if that would
                    help or any other deliminators.

                    Caye

                    __________________________________
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                      As we discussed, the objective is to search all contemporary names only,
                      not historical names and to do it with a digital list, not a hardcopy.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                        Caye,

                        That is too hard. The book is far more complex in format than a simple
                        list of names. You would spend hundreds of hours reformatting it and
                        extracting it from scans.

                        There is an easier way. These names have already been digitized, in
                        places such as obce.sk or a governmental index. The work is already done,
                        I'm certain. We just have to figure out where it is.

                        If someone wants to paw around the government index, you can probably find
                        it. For example, they might all be in the recent Slovakia census, which
                        has summary statistics published for each village. Someone want a job?
                        This might be a good project. I'd be happy to publish the list for all to
                        have once the names were extracted.

                        Bill

                        > Bill, if you mail me that book/list (or get it to
                        > Pittsburgh for Slovak Heritage Fest) I'll scan it into
                        > Word for you -- might not be able to proofread 100%
                        > all of them -- but I'll do my best if that is any
                        > help.
                        >
                        > I've got scanning software/Optical Character
                        > Recognition software here at the office we use for
                        > text (.pdf-to-.doc/Adobe-to-Word).
                        >
                        > I'd put it into a Word Table -- which is sortable --
                        > so probably want columns for County/Village-or-Town
                        > Name -- you could also add area code if that would
                        > help or any other deliminators.
                        >

                        > Caye
                        >

                        > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> I know, Frank (I have the book). That's the
                        >> problem. I want a digitzed
                        >> list so I can let the computer do the walking
                        >> instead of my fingers.
                        >> Pawing through 300 pages everytime someone asks
                        >> about a misspelled village
                        >> name just doesn't work for me any more. It's taking
                        >> a toll on my eyes.
                        >> Besides, being in the computer biz, I know full
                        >> well, this is a much
                        >> easier job for a computer!
                        >> Thanks for the thought.
                        >> bill
                        >>

                        >> > Bill,
                        >> >
                        >> > There is such a list in analogue form in Na'zvy
                        >> Obci' Slovanskej Republiky
                        >> > (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) veda Vydavatel'stvo
                        >> Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied,
                        >> > Bratislava 1998.
                        >> >
                        >> > The list is 243 pages single spaced with
                        >> approximately 22,356 entries.
                        >> >
                        >> > Frank R. Plichta
                        >> > Galax, Virginia

                      • Frank R. Plichta
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                          Caye,

                          Will your optical character recognize the diacritical marks? We would need
                          them have them included.

                          Frank R. Plichta
                          Galax, Virginia

                          Bill, if you mail me that book/list (or get it to
                          Pittsburgh for Slovak Heritage Fest) I'll scan it into
                          Word for you -- might not be able to proofread 100%
                          all of them -- but I'll do my best if that is any
                          help.

                          I've got scanning software/Optical Character
                          Recognition software here at the office we use for
                          text (.pdf-to-.doc/Adobe-to-Word).

                          I'd put it into a Word Table -- which is sortable --
                          so probably want columns for County/Village-or-Town
                          Name -- you could also add area code if that would
                          help or any other deliminators.

                          Caye

                          > I know, Frank (I have the book). That's the
                          > problem. I want a digitzed
                          > list so I can let the computer do the walking
                          > instead of my fingers.
                          > Pawing through 300 pages everytime someone asks
                          > about a misspelled village
                          > name just doesn't work for me any more. It's taking
                          > a toll on my eyes.
                          > Besides, being in the computer biz, I know full
                          > well, this is a much
                          > easier job for a computer!
                          > Thanks for the thought.
                          > bill
                          >

                          > > Bill,
                          > >
                          > > There is such a list in analogue form in Na'zvy
                          > Obci' Slovanskej Republiky
                          > > (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) veda Vydavatel'stvo
                          > Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied,
                          > > Bratislava 1998.
                          > >
                          > > The list is 243 pages single spaced with
                          > approximately 22,356 entries.
                          > >
                          > > Frank R. Plichta
                          > > Galax, Virginia

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Peter Nagy
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                            Dear Bill,

                            I have also this problem and I did not solve it yet. It is obvious, that
                            the Slovak Statistical Office has the complete list of Slovak
                            municipalities (last number is 2891). There are also some electronic
                            publications for sale, where the list of municipalities is included, I
                            will try to purchase one. Unfortunately due to the copyright, it is not
                            possible to publish this list.

                            For list members, who are looking for present statistical,
                            administrative and demographic data I recommend to visit the free online
                            tool:

                            http://www.statistics.sk/mosmis/eng/run.html

                            Good luck,

                            Peter

                            --
                            Cilistovska 20
                            931 01 Samorin

                            tel: +421 31 560 0641
                            fax: +421 31 560 0642
                            mobile: +421 905 490 552
                            <callto://papusko>
                            www.centroconsult.sk <http://www.centroconsult.sk>
                            www.cpr.uibk.org <http://www.cpr.uibk.org/>
                          • Frank R. Plichta
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                              Bill,

                              Your problem may be solved. The web site that Peter gave in his message can
                              be searched by a partial string of letters. All of the locations with that
                              string appear. I tried a few and it worked for the examples I used. Give
                              it a try.

                              Frank R. Plichta
                              Galax, Virginia
                              "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                                Frank,

                                > The web site that Peter gave in his message can
                                > be searched by a partial string of letters.

                                Congratulation, I did not try yet to search for a partial string without
                                wildcart character. Sometimes the simplest approach is the best.

                                Peter
                                --
                                Cilistovska 20
                                931 01 Samorin
                                Slovak Republic

                                tel: +421 31 560 0641
                                fax: +421 31 560 0642
                                mobile: +421 905 490 552
                                <callto://papusko>
                                www.centroconsult.sk <http://www.centroconsult.sk>
                                www.cpr.uibk.org <http://www.cpr.uibk.org/>
                              • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                                  Yes, that site works great for what Bill wanted. I put in "ovce" for
                                  the place name, and got 361 places ending in "ovce", with their
                                  regions and districts.

                                  We can all take the weekend off!

                                  Joe

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                                    OK, got pleanty of "farming" and property maintenance
                                    in that case -- good to know.

                                    Caye

                                    --- "Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)"

                                  • johnqadam
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                                      Peter, that was a great "FIND" and I have added it to my favourites. I
                                      tested by looking up Dubravka using "avka". It worked.

                                      Job done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                    • Caye Caswick
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                                        It works well in Italian -- haven't checked the list
                                        of foreign languages for Slovak -- but for future
                                        projects, I'll do that next time I need to OCR a
                                        document and let you know.

                                        Caye

                                        --- "Frank R. Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Caye,
                                        >
                                        > Will your optical character recognize the
                                        > diacritical marks? We would need
                                        > them have them included.
                                        >
                                        > Frank R. Plichta
                                        > Galax, Virginia

                                        === message truncated ===

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 11, 2005
                                          oooooh. that is sooooo coooooool. suits me perfect. Thanks.

                                          How do you like your coffee? Newspaper? :)
                                          bill