New mysteries

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2000
      It's been too quiet around here, so it's time for me to cause some new
      trouble. I KNOW, but keep forgetting, that there is a gazette or something
      that tells where the records are for different towns and villages in
      Slovakia. Someday I will find it.

      Meanwhile, I have a different kind of problem. I am going to start
      researching my KLINKA and RACHEL family from Liptovska Porubka. A new hint
      just came to light suggesting that of several Porubkas, this is the right
      place. An old family photo from the 20's from Slovakia turns out to have
      been printed on some kind of blank postcard. Evidently it was designed to
      send to family members around the area. Ours was sent as an enclosure in
      regular mail to America. Anyway, the back had a stamp with part of the
      letters missing. What was readable included the letters "ULAS".

      Elementary, Watson -- I figured it must be the stamp from Liptovsky Mikulas,
      the large town near Liptovska Porubka. So check those old family photos
      from Czechoslovakia in case yours proves to be a postcard.

      I found that baptismal records for Lutherans in L. Porubka, 1859-1896, are
      available from the FHL, but that's all so far. How can I find out where the
      rest of the records are? Does anyone know if the LDS have finished
      photocopying in Slovakia yet? I am trying to determine if there are more
      records from the town itself, or rather if they were kept in some nearby
      town, in which case I need to run down that gazette or whatever it is.

      Thanks, Andrea
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
        > It's been too quiet around here, so it's time for me to cause some
        new
        > trouble. I KNOW, but keep forgetting, that there is a gazette or
        something
        > that tells where the records are for different towns and villages in
        > Slovakia. Someday I will find it.
        >
        > Meanwhile, I have a different kind of problem. I am going to start
        > researching my KLINKA and RACHEL family from Liptovska Porubka. A
        new hint
        > just came to light suggesting that of several Porubkas, this is the
        right
        > place. An old family photo from the 20's from Slovakia turns out
        have
        > been printed on some kind of blank postcard. Evidently it was
        designed to
        > send to family members around the area. Ours was sent as an
        enclosure in
        > regular mail to America. Anyway, the back had a stamp with part of
        the
        > letters missing. What was readable included the letters "ULAS".
        >
        > Elementary, Watson -- I figured it must be the stamp from Liptovsky
        Mikulas,
        > the large town near Liptovska Porubka. So check those old family
        photos
        > from Czechoslovakia in case yours proves to be a postcard.
        >
        > I found that baptismal records for Lutherans in L. Porubka,
        1859-1896, are
        > available from the FHL, but that's all so far. How can I find out
        where the
        > rest of the records are? Does anyone know if the LDS have finished
        > photocopying in Slovakia yet? I am trying to determine if there
        are
        more
        > records from the town itself, or rather if they were kept in some
        nearby
        > town, in which case I need to run down that gazette or whatever it
        is.

        > Thanks, Andrea

        Liptosk� Por�ba (Sv) Kisporuba (H) ["little" poruba) is located
        135 miles ENE of Bratislava.
        Think the Slovak State regional archives at Bytc^a (near Z^ilina)
        has jurisdiction.
        The LDS had finished filming half of the records at Bytc^a (or had
        begun
        just on the second half ?)
        When completed ? , only the large archives located at Bratislava will
        remain to be filmed by the LDS.

        R.C. parish church registers for Liptosk� Por�ba are included
        with
        Liptovsky' Hr�dok (1803-1897)
        Lutheran parish church registers for Liptosk� Por�ba are
        included
        with Liptosky' J�n (1783-1921)
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000