Re: [S-R] Skoda Auto - Welcome to Skoda Auto Homepage

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
      In a message dated 10/9/05 10:12:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Dans57@... writes:

      > http://www.skoda-auto.com/global

      Thanks for the Skoda site. like the Ford Fiesta, Alta and other great cars,
      North America does not have a dealer.
      you have to go to south america, europe, asia to get the Skoda and to Mexico
      to get the Ford Fiesta. Canada to buy some other gas efficient cars.
      i love that Skoda. maybe someday it will be available here in the States.
      Lucky people living elsewhere who can buy one.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
        Many auto manufacturers don't want to bother selling cars in America. It's
        a big, expensive investment. First, they have to meet the US emissions and
        safety standards, which are generally stricter than European standards.
        Then they have to create a sales and service network, which is extremely
        expensive. For "small" companies like Skoda, this is cost prohibitive.
        Remember Peugeot and Fiat? They bailed from the American market about 15
        years ago.

        Even bringing a car over yourself requires a retrofit for emissions, which
        often unacceptably alters the cars performance.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Dans57@... writes:

        > http://www.skoda-auto.com/global

        Thanks for the Skoda site. like the Ford Fiesta, Alta and other great cars,

        North America does not have a dealer.
        you have to go to south america, europe, asia to get the Skoda and to Mexico

        to get the Ford Fiesta. Canada to buy some other gas efficient cars.
        i love that Skoda. maybe someday it will be available here in the States.
        Lucky people living elsewhere who can buy one.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
          Good point about the retrofit for emissions. i did not even think of that.
          that would defeat the whole purpose.

          In a message dated 10/9/05 8:55:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          bill.tarkulich@... writes:

          > Even bringing a car over yourself requires a retrofit for emissions

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:

            Bill & All,

            Whereas 15 and 30 years ago the EU standards for emissions lagged
            behind ours, today "These (EU) standards have been subsequently
            strengthened several times, and some of the EU's most recent
            standards are more stringent than those of the US, which has not
            tightened them for more than a decade. "
            That is from
            http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/vogel/federalism.pdf
            which will tell you more than you ever wished to know about how the
            standards have developed. Their conclusion goes along pretty well
            with my own experience. I hired on for a US federal job in Germany
            in 1987 and had to remove my catalytic converter before shipping my
            car overseas. That resulted from an outdated US concept that
            unleaded gas was not to be had in Germany. Then in 1991 I drove to
            Slovakia with this car and with only a little care found unleaded
            gas to be had. Rather than any in Stara Lubovna, the roadside
            station in Podolinec had unleaded at that time.

            The Euro standards for safety have also improved dramatically and
            they argue that some of their tests have greater relevance to real
            safety than the standard US tests do. That argument goes on even
            within one industry in one country, trying to establish the most
            relevant standard. It is only incidental, of course, if the
            standard favors one's own business!

            Skoda: In 1982 I rented a Skoda on another trip and even though I
            had driven a four cylinder Datsun pickup for ten years, the Skoda
            set a new standard for underpowered vehicles. You had to judge your
            distance, hit the gas and let the motor wind up, and then initiate
            your passing. It made for some interesting driving!

            Bringing foreign cars into the US sometimes does not depend upon
            emissions but rather on protectionism. I bought a Dodge Neon from
            an Army civilian & carefully checked that the VIN began with a 1 ..
            made in North America. That was great until it arrived in Anchorage
            and I tried to take it in for emissions inspection. No one could
            legally test it because the US emissions sticker was not on the
            driver's door. It was a Canadian standard. Everyone acknowledged
            that the car met US standards, but they could not test it by law.
            Chrysler refused to help as they figured I was a "gray marketer"
            trying to buy cheap Canadian and bring it to the US, undercutting
            their profits. It took a letter to the EPA and my congressman to
            get the letter I needed – but only after a high-up in Washington, DC
            called to chew me out for undercutting US industry! He never
            mentioned the environment. I countered that I demanded my rights
            (whatever they may be) under NAFTA. Seemingly NAFTA is just for
            corporate persons, not human people.

            To summarize, check carefully, I believe you will find EU standards
            on cars are quite comparable to ours these days. They just took a
            different route getting there.