RE: [S-R] Does anyone recognize the word Tiszai

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2005
      I looked at the page. It is here http://tinyurl.com/7os3x

      According to the main format for the Gazetteer , you are looking at the
      central, or "main" church for the parish. It can often be the name of the
      Diocese (see RC example below). In this case, it is probably a Diocese.
      Look at other villages in the county, you will see it there also quite
      often, sometimes you see Eperjes(Presov). A parish is often made up of
      multiple villages, each with their own church building. In those days and
      often still today, one priest or minister served all the churches in his
      parish.

      Here is the secret decoder ring:
      http://tinyurl.com/7os3x

      I can't speak for the A.G. faith in terms of organizational structure. That
      is, whether the diocese was named after a real town or otherwise.
      Here is some further background on the church:
      http://www.iarelative.com/lutheran.htm
      http://www.ecav.sk/info/adresar/index.htm

      According to the above, it appears to be in the Gemersky diocese today, and
      the central parish today is Chyzne, but it's up to you to figure out the
      diocese structure as it was in 1877.

      Good Luck!
      Bill Tarkulich