Re: [S-R] Paula/Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jeriscak

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 96 , Oct 5, 2005
      It's amazing to me that they were even able to keep all of that info
      in order. Those ships probably had between 500 to 1000 or more
      peoople on them and getting all of that written down. Wow! I know
      that ships captain did most of it on the manifest, but it had to be
      done again after they arrived in port.
      I have had many people tell me, including some on this list, that
      their ancestors didn't talk about the old country after they came
      here. My family was no exception. My grandfather died before I was
      born and my grandmother died when I was 10, so I didn't have the time
      to ask them about their lives. Not to mention that fact that they
      lived 1000 miles away.
      Oops, pc is making noise again. Better send this before it goes
      belly up.

      paula

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
      wrote:
      > Paula, I know all the info we gather about our familes is
      wonderful. I know Ellis Island/various ports did everything they
      could. It must have been something back then.

      > I just love to hear all the good stories of found ancestor
      information. There is always so much to learn. The pictures are
      great too.

      > I like Radix too, alot of info there. We have alot of interesting
      people on here.

      > When I was growing up I remember my Grandmother always saying, she
      came for Austria-Hungary...it was never seperated. I then learned
      some history in school and it came together then.

      > Take care,
      >
      > Donna
      >
      > Paula <hotrodkitty2000@y...> wrote:
      > Yes, it is a wonder we can find anything at all on our ancestors.
      > know they did the best they could at Ellis Island and the other
      > various ports of entry.
      > My grandmothers maiden name is Bondár, which sometimes is put down
      as
      > Bodnar, a common Hung. name. She was from Békés (Békés megye). At
      > least my aunt sent me copies of her baptism and marriage
      > certificates. Grandpa was from Fehertemplom/Weisskirchen/Bela
      > Crvka. Where he came from prior to that, I have no idea. I have
      had
      > the LDS films and couldn't find anything on him. I'm afraid he's
      > going to be elusive. I have found family on Radix, a big help.
      > I know that this group is for Slovak, but I have found valuable
      > research tools that I use.
      > I forwarded what I have to Bill T. and he has them posted on his
      > website as examples of what the different documents look like.
      Bill
      > has been a big help to me also.
      >
      > paula
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Paula, It is so amazing how ripped to pieces their names are and
      > how sad it is that they had to change their names. I grew up
      > thinking that my Great Grandfather's name was the same as
      > mine "Lachney", but their baptism papers Had to do that, I think so
      > they could come over. Anyway, a lady gave to me on Thanksgiving
      > their baptism forms around 1860, it was so earth shaking. What a
      day
      > to give Thanks!!! I was dizzy after that with emotion. When I
      > looked at the name it was "Lacsni" I remember my Grandmother
      saying
      > they came from a town that sounded like "egg", but it was Iglo, now
      > Spisska Nova Ves. I am so happy and thrilled to have received
      those
      > forms. They are big and I had them done at a studio framed with
      > special glass and have them on my wall. It makes me so happy to
      look
      > at it. I also got pictures of the family too, when they had about
      4
      > kids, she had 12.
      > >
      > > It is such a feeling to learn all this wonderful information.
      > >
      > > Donna Lachney
      > >

      > > Paula <hotrodkitty2000@y...> wrote:
      > > Oh how I know that! My grandfather not only changed the spelling
      > of
      > > his name when he came to the States, he changed his entire last
      > name
      > > while in the Old Country. He was born Wollek, lived with or
      > adopted
      > > by a Bohm and then changed it to Boehm in the US. Jojj! He's
      the
      > > biggest mystery. A lady in the Ohio genealogy group finally
      found
      > > him for me in the 1920 census. The last name was so mangled.
      All
      > > the kids and the wife matched and so did the address, so I'm sure
      > > it's him. I always thought he was Hungarian, that's what I
      always
      > > heard. He was from the Banat area and German. At least I know
      > about
      > > my grandmother's family and have lots of documents on her. : )
      > >
      > > paula

      > American family home insurance American family home insurance
      company American family home owner insurance Multi family home for
      sale Single family home for sale Family home finance

      Service.

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Nov 1, 2006
        Our groups are truly blessed with the professional people who are members.
        Not only our two wonderful Vladimirs, but also Helene, Helen, Martin, Danusa,
        Bill, Lawrence and many other professionals who have tremendous knowledge and
        share it freely. I have not named even half the people who are so generous
        with their knowledge. They all come from varied backgrounds and have different
        styles.

        I thank you all from my heart and appreciate all the help you have given over
        the years.

        Mr. Bohinc is the topic of this posting because I have read recent emails to
        the group. He deserves far better than the attack he received from one of the
        members but the original poster already cleared up the issue and has
        apologized for the misunderstanding.

        On the subject of anonymity, I don't like it. While I respect those who
        prefer to write anonymously, I just do not think it is a good idea. If you do not
        want your postings to forever remain in cyberspace, just write privately to
        the person you are addressing. Just throwing in my two cents on the issue of
        anonymity.

        Noreen