RE: [S-R] LACSNI and other name changes

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 96 , Oct 4, 2005
      Dear Donna,

      Donna, I would like to address your statement that it is sad that people's
      names were "ripped to pieces." When we find changes in our ancestors' names
      or their names rendered with different spellings, it is an opportunity to
      learn why and how it relates to history, language, and culture. Bill
      Tarkulich has included in his website an excellent article written for Ellis
      Island on name changes after immigration
      (http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/history/articles/NameEssay.html). But
      this is only part of the story, because, as Paula learned, many name changes
      took place long before then.
      First, spelling of names was not standardized as it is today.
      Pronunciation was more important than the spelling, Even an individual might
      spell his name more than one way. I doubt very much that your
      great-grandfather was troubled by changing his spelling from Lacsni to
      Lachney; in fact, he probably changed it so that Americans would find it
      easier to pronounce. Spelling also reflected language differences. The same
      sounds are spelled somewhat differently in Slovak and in Hungarian. If you
      have done much searching in the church records, you will see these changes
      as the records change from Latin to Hungarian to Slovak. The reasons for the
      written language changes can be found in the history of the region. Yet
      pronunciation probably did not change.
      Second, people's names sometimes were changed deliberately for a
      great variety of reasons. Paula's Wollek to Bohm is a good example. Some had
      to do with distinguishing oneself from others with the same name in a
      village, some were changed to gain social or political advantage, and there
      may be some who changed their names to hide from authorities. The records
      are filled with aliases. Some of these changes are recorded in official
      records, especially during the late 19th century, but not all of them,
      especially earlier ones. And not all of these changes were necessarily
      abrupt. An individual might be known in one place with one name and by a
      different one in another place, at the same time.
      All of this is to say that we should not get hung up on "correct"
      names or spellings. Tracing name changes, when it is possible to do so, can
      help us understand history, both in terms of politics and in terms of
      individuals, and in the end give us a fuller picture of the personal lives
      of our ancestors.

      Janet
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 96 of 96 , Nov 1, 2006
        Our groups are truly blessed with the professional people who are members.
        Not only our two wonderful Vladimirs, but also Helene, Helen, Martin, Danusa,
        Bill, Lawrence and many other professionals who have tremendous knowledge and
        share it freely. I have not named even half the people who are so generous
        with their knowledge. They all come from varied backgrounds and have different
        styles.

        I thank you all from my heart and appreciate all the help you have given over
        the years.

        Mr. Bohinc is the topic of this posting because I have read recent emails to
        the group. He deserves far better than the attack he received from one of the
        members but the original poster already cleared up the issue and has
        apologized for the misunderstanding.

        On the subject of anonymity, I don't like it. While I respect those who
        prefer to write anonymously, I just do not think it is a good idea. If you do not
        want your postings to forever remain in cyberspace, just write privately to
        the person you are addressing. Just throwing in my two cents on the issue of
        anonymity.

        Noreen