NY Necrology or Death Certs and census

  • Deb Blabolil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 1999
      HI-

      Does anyone know why I cannot get a death certificate in the state of NY
      for 50 years unless I am a direct relative, I was hoping to use it for
      informational purposes. My other thing I need to know is - are there any
      census for NY or NJ after 1920, my historical society also does not ahve a
      NY index for the 1920 census so I would have to go through every single
      record, where as the NJ and Ohio ones have an index and tell you exactly
      what page and file number. Does anyone know of an index??? Myabe the LDS???
      I just found an LDS in my area so I will try there on Saturday- never been
      to one yet.

      I am also trying to locate Necrology indexes for NJ, NY nad IL since I do
      not know the exact area of death and cannot get those newspapers here.

      I have some new names to my list as well

      They are Marie Vesely (married name)
      Julia and Victor Hicks and the Hicks family- Donald, Edna, Helen and Victor
      Elizabeth Wells Blabolil parents Casper Wells and Rosalie Fencel
      Olga Svoboda Blabolil parents Anton Svoboda and Emilie Tasovac

      Does anyone know where you can find someones death date- it is not in the
      Social Security index because it was the early 40's and up to the early
      60's and they are not listed, I have the Family Tree Maker software.

      Thank you

      Deb Blabolil
      Office of Annual Giving
      Case Western Reserve University
      10900 Euclid Avenue, Baker 206
      Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7036
      phone: (216)-368-4980 or (216)-368-6233
      1-800-304-4483
      Fax: (216)-368-6926
      e-mail: dlb14@...
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 1999
        Deb,

        You can find information on US census and soundex on my Hints page, url
        below, also information on getting certificates from NY.

        About the census question....

        All states have a soundex for the 1920, 1900 and 1880 censuses (1880 for
        families with children 10 and under only). Many states also have
        soundexes for 1910, but NY is not one of them. See the info on the Hints
        page.

        Some NY counties, mostly the "city boroughs" I believe had state
        censuses from 1855- 1925. Many are filmed and available through your
        FHC, as are the Federal Censuses described above. Some counties are not
        filmed. I have personally used the ones for Kings County (Brooklyn).
        Look in the CD catalog at the FHC under the county you are interested
        in. If they are available they'd be listed there.

        Researching in NY is essentially like dealing with two different states
        with two totallly different sets of rules in one. I now understand why
        many people refer to NY as "the black hole of genealogy"!

        NYC - boroughs of New York (Manhattan), Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Bronx
        and Richmond (Staten Island) have one policy, a fairly open one, about
        getting vital records. Most records are filmed and those that arent' can
        be gotten from the Municipal Archives in Manhattan. Info on this again
        is on the Hints page.

        However, anything outside those boroughs is governed by ALBANY, and the
        STATE of New York. Since I grew up on Long Island, but in Suffolk County
        , outside the city limits I have had to get some records from them. You
        write to the town clerk of the county seat, send the money , usually
        they require a letter and sometimes proof that you are related directly
        (ie. granddaughter not niece). Then you get a typed transcript unless
        you specifically ask for a copy.

        You can use the archives in Albany, but I am told that requests there
        take at least a year to hear about. They do have a good "search the
        records" feature for $5 where they will just search and tell you what
        county the record is in, I've used that, and it only took about 2
        months, and they even refunded my money when it wasn't found at all. You
        should be able to find that on the NY USGenWeb page, discussed below.

        Now, here's what I would suggest....

        1. Call the town hall first. Each county is different about rules. Some
        want a money order, some will take a check. Some don't care if you're
        related or not as they don't ask for proof, so if you're NOT the
        granddaughter how are they going to prove it (get my drift <g>)

        2. Join a mailing list for that county, and check the USGenWeb pages
        for that county at http://www.usgenweb.org which should have info on
        getting records. Lots of times those who've researched there can give
        you good hints and tips about who to ask and who not to ask. Some clerks
        are more helpful than others. Mailing lists can be located by going to
        http://users.aol.com/johnf14246/gen_mail.html

        3. As to WHY NY is like this, who knows. It just is. As a former NYer,
        all I can say is, its a NY thing.

        Hope this helps you some.

        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...